Issues removing the OEM "spring seat" when installing Bilstein 5100s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am ready to bite the bullet and install these on my 2019 Expy. However, I read that they require reuse of the OEM spring seats, and that there is some controversy as to whether the spring seats are removable or welded on.

Someone wrote in a prior post: "I took it to the Ford dealership to have them installed and they are telling me that they are unable to reuse the spring seat from the original parts."

Has anyone had issues swapping their OEM struts for Bilsteins? Or was it pretty straightforward? I will have this done at a mechanic, but want to be sure it's ok to proceed.

Thanks in advance!!

I took my third gen to one of the local shops I use (a transmission shop that also does general mechanical work). They had to take the truck to another shop that specializes in suspensions as they didn't have the tools to get it done. Other than that, there were no issues.

Thanks all!

To answer the question above, I am replacing my stock shocks because the ride is awful (I posted on this in the pst, but basically I think there is something wrong with the shocks because my Tahoe rode 10x better, and other Expeditions I’ve been on also ride better). Not interested in lifting, just better ride quality!

The Bilsteins will be a little firmer, but in 100k+ miles I haven't had any issues with them. I went through 3 stock struts before I gave up. They kept exploding.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a bilstein shock seat available to buy? My install shop was saying they wouldn’t recommend it or try it but that’s without them looking at it. Ford doesn’t sell a seat separately as it’s apart of the strut from a parts perspective
No aftermarket bottom plates available on the market currently. Have to take a hammer/mallet and knock the bottom plates off the OEM strut assembly.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking to take it to our local machine shop and let them swap the setup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhmurphy1960