Load Leveling Nivomat Replacement or switch to standard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam N Davis

Reaction score
Ok so I replaced the front on my 2014 with KYB Strut plus. Sits about 1/2" higher after it settled. The rear I am still deciding on what to do. It already was 1/2" lower than front so now its 1" lower. I found the stock motorcraft replacement load leveling shock for $180 each. I am not thinking that just replacing the nivomat will help the sagging rear coil. I have not towed that much with the expedition but it routinely carriers around extra weight with 4 kids, coolers and all the stuff they tote around. We take couple RV camping trips and what not a year and thats about it for towing.

Should I yank the rear coil and shock and replace with standard KYB strut plus for the rear?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally like the Nivomat shocks. I think they are a good solution.

Not sure why even before your strut replacement, your front was higher. My 15 sat lower in the front, and so did our 17. 15 eventually had a 3/2 lift and was almost level. 17 now has the 3/2 lift and sits level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with the rear sag and am working with a local (NJ) shop to have some custom heavy duty rear springs made for my 2010 EL. Still sorting out the exact details but I hope to have them done and installed by the middle of February, weather- and time-permitting.

Not sure if that's a route you'd be interested in, or even if the coils are the same from '10 to '14, but it's an option.

OP
OP
A

Adam N Davis

Reaction score
You have the load leveling nivomats
I'm in the same boat with the rear sag and am working with a local (NJ) shop to have some custom heavy duty rear springs made for my 2010 EL. Still sorting out the exact details but I hope to have them done and installed by the middle of February, weather- and time-permitting.

Not sure if that's a route you'd be interested in, or even if the coils are the same from '10 to '14, but it's an option.

You have the load leveling nivomats? If so I think the coil are the same. You can by factory replacement coils and the shocks but they are expensive. They were not that great to begin with so it seems silly to go back to them. I can replace the entire rear system with a coil over drop in with new new shock I am pretty sure. At least if I go this route and get the KYB coil/shock assembly it should match the front damping KYB I have now and would still be better than sagging in the rear if the current coils are shot. The load leveling worked ok new.

OP
OP
A

Adam N Davis

Reaction score
I personally like the Nivomat shocks. I think they are a good solution.

Not sure why even before your strut replacement, your front was higher. My 15 sat lower in the front, and so did our 17. 15 eventually had a 3/2 lift and was almost level. 17 now has the 3/2 lift and sits level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I assume either the nivomat is worn out or the coil that is causing a slight sagging. THe shock is not supposed to support the weight of the vehicle but I suppose if it was that badly worn it could effect the height. I feel like it is more likely the coil has weakened. So the solution is buy the factory replacement coil so I can install new nivomat or change to a standard coil.shock. Standard is much cheaper as there are aftermarket options., KYB, MOnroe, etc.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have the load leveling nivomats

You have the load leveling nivomats? If so I think the coil are the same. You can by factory replacement coils and the shocks but they are expensive. They were not that great to begin with so it seems silly to go back to them. I can replace the entire rear system with a coil over drop in with new new shock I am pretty sure. At least if I go this route and get the KYB coil/shock assembly it should match the front damping KYB I have now and would still be better than sagging in the rear if the current coils are shot. The load leveling worked ok new.
Nah, I have the standard coils. I read your post too fast and thought you had the standard suspension and were considering upgrading to the nivomats.

I never could get the hang of Mondays...

Last edited: