Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 rim protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've had Michelins on multiple vehicles over multiple years...decades. Cars, suvs, performance cars....NEVER had an issue. NEVER! I don't understand people (including my brother) who complain about them. Same thing with BFG KO's. Had them for years on my pick ups trucks. NEVER a problem. I did have a neighbor who had BFG Trail Terrains on his F-150. They were terrible in the snow. Then again, maybe it's not the tires?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went a size up on the defenders to 305/45/22 when I powder coated the stealth 22’s all black (had to get rid of the silver ring on top). The bigger tire gives a bit more rim protection.
Unfortunately, oversize may cause problems with the tire in the near future. I did the same thing on my Excursion. and because the wheel was not meant for that wide of tire, they bulged at the top, causing belt slip and premature tire wear. So the next set I went back to 285/45/22.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have CCD. No difference in mileage, ride is much better now, not sure if that’s from the size change or brand change. I attached a photo of the size difference. They are 3/4” taller and 3/4” wider. No rubbing at all. Much quieter on the road now too. I’ve ran defenders on 22’s for my last 4 suvs. I really like them. Great mileage warranty at 80,000 too. I have about 16,000 miles on these and they don’t look a day old.
How is the cornering on it since it's wider? I have CCD and it still leans like a boat on the ****** OEM Generals.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've had Michelins on multiple vehicles over multiple years...decades. Cars, suvs, performance cars....NEVER had an issue. NEVER! I don't understand people (including my brother) who complain about them. Same thing with BFG KO's. Had them for years on my pick ups trucks. NEVER a problem. I did have a neighbor who had BFG Trail Terrains on his F-150. They were terrible in the snow. Then again, maybe it's not the tires?
I've stated it elsewhere on this forum in the past. 20 years ago, I was responsible for Final Assembly warranty including tires for NA Trucks and SUV's at Ford. Michelins were a non issue warranty wise, all other brands, not so much. It continues to be a well run company that knows how to build the best tires in the world. Back in the day we lost lucrative repeat truck business because of persistent quality issues with other brands of tires; but, nothing but customer love from trucks/suvs with Michelins. This comment is based on sales of literally millions of units and 10's of millions of tires.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Don’t get generals.. they are crap… cooper, Pirelli Michelin or may Firestone
A friend has had some Firestone tires on their 2016 F-150 4x4 for a few years and they've been great tires. No idea exactly which model, though. They're semi-off-road tires but run really quiet and soft.
I had 20" Pirelli Scorpions (AT or ATR I think?) on a 2009 F-150 and they rode like absolute trash even when new.
I ran coopers on a Dodge Charger and a 2019 F-150 4x2. They did great for the first half of the tread life, then basically became banana peels in the wet and very rough/loud. Yokohama tires did much better but still got rough/loud in the last 30% of the tread life.

The only tires I've had in recent memory (Texas weather conditions) that were comfortable and reliable in adverse weather have been the Michelin Defender (mostly the LTX M/S). They ride/drive/sound great and stay pretty much the same all the way down to the wear bars in both the cars and the trucks I've had them on. And to echo @ROBERT BONNER, I've had zero issues getting pro-rated warranty coverage for excessive wear or other issues from Michelin. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but it's been this way for myself and my parents' vehicles for as long as I can remember.

zeecarr

Reaction score
I got my 2023 as a leftover. It sat so long at the dealer back lot the Generals were flat spotted when I got it. They told me that if they were still thumping after 400 miles they would buy me a new set of tires. They were still noticeable at 500 miles so I had the tires replaced. I'm kicking myself still for not asking for Michelins or Pirellis. I got another set of Generals... Anyway they seem to feel a lot better now that they are broken in and have 7500 miles on them. They definitely ride better now, but I still wish I had gotten a better set of tires even if I had to add money out of pocket.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend has had some Firestone tires on their 2016 F-150 4x4 for a few years and they've been great tires. No idea exactly which model, though. They're semi-off-road tires but run really quiet and soft.
I had 20" Pirelli Scorpions (AT or ATR I think?) on a 2009 F-150 and they rode like absolute trash even when new.
I ran coopers on a Dodge Charger and a 2019 F-150 4x2. They did great for the first half of the tread life, then basically became banana peels in the wet and very rough/loud. Yokohama tires did much better but still got rough/loud in the last 30% of the tread life.

The only tires I've had in recent memory (Texas weather conditions) that were comfortable and reliable in adverse weather have been the Michelin Defender (mostly the LTX M/S). They ride/drive/sound great and stay pretty much the same all the way down to the wear bars in both the cars and the trucks I've had them on. And to echo @ROBERT BONNER, I've had zero issues getting pro-rated warranty coverage for excessive wear or other issues from Michelin. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but it's been this way for myself and my parents' vehicles for as long as I can remember.
Wow, when I was thinking about lost business...the tire that came to mind was the infamous 20" Pirelli's put on 2004 - 2010 light F's.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, when I was thinking about lost business...the tire that came to mind was the infamous 20" Pirelli's put on 2004 - 2010 light F's.
Alert: More background than you want to know. Those Pirelli's were manufactured in Brazil and container shipped to the US across the equator. It didn't matter what month it was, it was summer somewhere on the trip and those tires would get baked. When they arrived at the plant the inside and outside beads were frequently adhered to one another, making processing them onerous, they were difficult to balance because the high spot photo stickers (aligned with the low spot stickers on the wheels to minimize balancing) would detach or move in shipping due to the heat. Frequently, they had to be remounted to come into spec....and warranty wise that was the least of their problems. Flat-spotting, road noise, all weather traction issues, well "Ugh" knows what I'm talking about, you lived it....All on a "premium" wheel/tire combination.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
flat spotting
Can confirm. Worst is if you have a lip or board or something in your garage you use as a stop when backing into your garage, especially in the winter. Drove me crazy trying to figure out why the truck was vibrating so badly at even moderate speeds.