Misfire need help !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krzstruyk

Reaction score
Hi everyone did a tune up plugs and coil boots, after this I starting having issues (nonissues before other then some surging under a lot of throttle but no code previously) then I had a code for misfire on Cylinder 5 , replaced the coil and seemed ok until I hit 45-60, ordered all new coils installed them and the issue still persists I moved coils and plugs but it’s now consistently showing on cylinder 6. I’m puzzled as I had no issues before and did a tune up and now have issues. My only thoughts now is bad or dirty injectors ? Could this be the issue ? Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
Re gapped all the plugs they were way out of spec but issue is still persistent swapped plugs around but seems to be moving with the coils, I bought new aftermarket coils from rockauto, I then put the one back in (checked resistance and the original coils matched the resistance as a new oem that I had) any tips on what to check next

Is it possible it is a injector fuel issues , happens between 45-60 mph when it’s under a good amount of acceleration as if it’s starving of fuel maybe or not getting the correct spark

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone did a tune hit plugs and coil boots, after this I starting having issues (nonissues before other then some surging under a lot of throttle but no code previously) then I had a code for misfire on Cylinder 5 , replaced the coil and seemed ok until I hit 45-60, ordered all new coils installed them and the issue still persists I moved coils and plugs but it’s now consistently showing on cylinder 6. I’m puzzled as I had no issues before and did a tune up and now have issues. My only thoughts now is bad or dirty injectors ? Could this be the issue ? Any thoughts ?

Did you use OEM Motorcraft spark plugs, coil boots and coils?

You said you “did a tune”. Did you modify the existing vehicle computer?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We need to know year, as that would tell us motor, since the assumption so far appears to be it is a 15-17.

Yes, if you are tuned, by who is important. If the issue started after the tune, and the plugs are now gapped properly, then I would do some logging and send it to your tuner.

If you are tuned, you should be more like 0.028 for your gap. Especially if it is a Sport/Performance tune, and you are running 93.

That is also a factor. If this is indeed a 15-17, and you are tuned, most likely the tune is written for 91+. If you are running 87, that could be an issue.

PS - There are many plugs out there that are equal to or in MANY ways superior to OEM Motorcraft plugs, so knowing that part number and brand would be helpful in diagnosis.

OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
Sorry not sure where I had the typo but NO tune it is stock 2017 3.5l I did oem plugs boots and then when I had the issue I ordered standard motor coils from rock auto , but I checked the ohms on the stock coils and all seems well , I will probably order one coils and put those in

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try again with Motorcraft coils. If you have Motorcraft and aftermarket, make sure you mark them and see if the issue is following a particular coil. Also make sure your air filter is free of obstructions. I had one of those blue shop towel get sucked into the filter box once. Kept getting a misfire during heavy throttle.

OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
Try again with Motorcraft coils. If you have Motorcraft and aftermarket, make sure you mark them and see if the issue is following a particular coil. Also make sure your air filter is free of obstructions. I had one of those blue shop towel get sucked into the filter box once. Kept getting a misfire during heavy throttle.
I’ll give it a shot , are these motors known for having bad injectors eventually or is that less likely I have about 185k on mine now

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it is very possible you have a bad injector at 185K.

Have you run a quality injector cleaner through? I am a big fan of Royal Purples, and it is on sale at Advance this weekend.