Musty A/C Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedish4

Reaction score
I have a 22' w/ 14k miles. We have recently noticed a musty smell when first turning vehicle & A/C on. Vehicle is garage kept. I have seen other threads reference water on passenger floor board. The passenger floor board is bone dry. Anyone experiencing similar issue or have ideas what could cause this? Thanks!

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 22' w/ 14k miles. We have recently noticed a musty smell when first turning vehicle & A/C on. Vehicle is garage kept. I have seen other threads reference water on passenger floor board. The passenger floor board is bone dry. Anyone experiencing similar issue or have ideas what could cause this? Thanks!
AC system guaranteed has some mildew buildup. Turn off the AC 1-2 miles away from where you’ll park it at night, it will prevent the AC condenser from building up water, getting that musty smell. Also check your cabin air filter, that could’ve gone bad also.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ‘22 also does this and doesn’t leak water. The tip above will help. I also find that periodically if you turn the heater all the way up and blast it for a while it can help clear it out.

z71kris

Reaction score
It happens with my 21 as well. I had it in for service recently and they said change cabin air filter and that would solve it. It doesn’t do it as often now, but still does. I do park in my drive nose out down slope, I don’t know if that hurts it or not.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty much happens on all vehicles. As mentioned in a thread above, turn the AC off, but leave the vent fan running for a few minutes before you park the vehicle overnight. That will help. Or, with the system running on full, spray some Lysol in the outside air intake to kill the mildew. Wherever that is, heh. Probably in the exterior hood cowling right in front of the windshield.

Tripoli

Reaction score
Happening to my '22 as well. Also my wife's 2015 Merc. Stupid problem with lots of newer cars.

rsupak

Reaction score
I hate hearing this… my 2022 F150 does this and the wife is wanting a new Timberline to replace our 2015 Expedition.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not unique to newer cars, if you live in a humid environment its been a problem as long as there has been factory A/C. #2's suggestion is how to prevent it, but once mold/mildew has gotten started on the evaporator, its too late.

the way to get rid of the smell is an Ozone Generator. you can rent these from a good tool rental business, or find a detailer who has one. If your favorite detailer doesn't have one, I bet they know who does. this will completely eliminate any organic odors, such as the molds and mildews in your A/C, things like pet smells, baby smells, etc.

basic process is to empty out the car of all your stuff, put the ozone generator on the passenger floor, run an extension cord to the O3 gen, close all the windows and doors, and run it for like 12 hours, unplug it and let car sit until the next day, then open all doors and let it completely air out for 24 hours. O3 is very irritating to your eyes and mucus membranes, so avoid breathing or other exposure.