New 2 me 1999 Ex 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I got the lift installed today. Took me about 3.5 hrs to complete it. Looks pretty good, and I achieved 2" in the front and 2" in the rear. I could of gone more on the front, but I will need to get longer new shocks. I took it for a test drive, and I can say that I will be buying new shocks as it is a bit bouncey in the front due to the shocks almost maxed out. So that wil be next. The rims will be in on Tuesday, and Wednesday I get the dual exhaust installed. It is coming together pretty good and rapid.

Tell me what you think,

Before lift,
View attachment 3439
View attachment 3440
After
View attachment 3441
View attachment 3442

What lift did you get?

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that with Explorers there is a recommended 2" lift limit, or somewhere around there, with the torsion bars. Exceeding that places the axles at too extreme of an angle and it induces wear on the CV joints.

I haven't read anything about this for the Expy's but I would think that the same thing would hold true. My stock 97's axles are already angled some due to the factory setup since it sits higher than later years and part of it is due to the torsion bars. I guess just be aware of what you have and that you may be replacing axles sooner than normal with the higher torsion twists.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that with Explorers there is a recommended 2" lift limit, or somewhere around there, with the torsion bars. Exceeding that places the axles at too extreme of an angle and it induces wear on the CV joints.

I haven't read anything about this for the Expy's but I would think that the same thing would hold true. My stock 97's axles are already angled some due to the factory setup since it sits higher than later years and part of it is due to the torsion bars. I guess just be aware of what you have and that you may be replacing axles sooner than normal with the higher torsion twists.

That holds true for all IFS. Angles are a very important factor to take in consideration when doing a TT. That is why I only went 1.5" in ht up front, even though the indexed keys can gain you 3" if desired. And not only that, but the shocks can also max out and causes a very bouncey ride limited from itself constantly. I am still going to buy new 1-2" longer travel shocks for this setup. I will eventually buy a full suspension setup once I get more involved in this vehicle. Or at that, may do a SAS up front with a D60 as there is plenty of room under there to accommodate a SAS. But time will tell, and my overall liking for the Ex. Even at 1.5" TT, it is alittle bouncey as it is now. Before I started the lift, I had 37.5"s from ground to edge of center fender up front, after the TT, I was at 39"s, that is a net of 1.5"s. Which should be plenty for the 305/70/16's going on tomorrow or Wednesday.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I got the tires mounted on the rims. But when I went to mount the tires on the front, the rims are laying against the calipers and that is not good. So I oredered a set of billett 1" spacers to mount on the rotor to bring them out enough to clear the calipers. Should have the set of 4 spacers by Weds of next week. UGGHH!

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I bought 4 new Rancho RS5000 shocks all the way around at the 4" lift style. The stockers were extended to the max with the lift I put on, so that is why it was so bouncey. They feel and work great.

Still waiting for the wheel spacers to come in, should have them by the end of the week.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also took off the side door moldings and also took the brown pinstriping off and installed black pinstriping. I will post pics tomorrow. I thing the black pinstriping looks awesome.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the door moldings taken off and waxed and the new black pinstriping. I am not a fan of pinstriping but I took the brown stripes off and thought it took away from the body line seperation. So I got some black stripes and added them and they look great. They will also go with the black rims going on this week. I also took a few of the new Rancho shocks and tail pipes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here is the tires mounted on the rims. Also got the frontend aligned on Wed.

6.jpg

7.jpg