New and needing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turbos usually lower mileage on a gas motor, but might help with towing depending if you put enough boost in to keep you from downshifting. You can run as much boost as you would like on a stock 4.6 due to the forged internals, but the 4r70w isn't the strongest transmission. Mine is finally starting to go downhill, so I'm going to swap in a 4r75e from 3v 5.4 later this summer. The 4.6 also has the 8.8 rear end, but if you can find a cheap 9.75, it should be a direct swap other than possible shortening the drive shaft as long as you find one from an expy since the rear suspension is different than the F150s.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Turbos usually lower mileage on a gas motor, but might help with towing depending if you put enough boost in to keep you from downshifting. You can run as much boost as you would like on a stock 4.6 due to the forged internals, but the 4r70w isn't the strongest transmission. Mine is finally starting to go downhill, so I'm going to swap in a 4r75e from 3v 5.4 later this summer. The 4.6 also has the 8.8 rear end, but if you can find a cheap 9.75, it should be a direct swap other than possible shortening the drive shaft as long as you find one from an expy since the rear suspension is different than the F150s.

The book I have on ford 4.6 and 5.4 modular motor states all mod 4.6 and 5.4 come with hypereutectic pistons with the exception of 5.4 lightnings and supercharged mustangs. They all have cracked powdered metal connecting rods with the exception of the supercharged mustangs. So in reality the 4.6 is no better than the 5.4 as far as boost goes. The only mod motors with forged internals were of the supercharged variety.

How to rebuild 4.6/5.4-liter ford engines by George Reid.
It has a pretty impressive source list so I would assume it is accurate?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932494804

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
while deployed one of our civilian contractors somethin fletcher cant recall his first name was working in kandahar with us. he owns the patents to the original back turbo design or whatever you wanna call it. its when you put a turbo in place of your muffler he said all you need to do is have an exhaust shop use exhaust tubing to route the piping back into the engine bay he said then you can use a regular CAI tube to run it to the motor for cosmetic purpouses he claimed as long as you keep your foot out of it you will see significant improvement he said use an intercooler if you want "for obvious reasons." somewhere around here i have all the info he gave me for putting one on my carolla. it already gets 44mpg highway with my homebuilt ram air. but he said i should be able to get it to 50mpg. only problem is if you do alot of offroading good luck. your air filter needs to be as close to the turbo as possible so that means under the truck lol. just an idea if you stay on paved roads

OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine will not be for off road use at all, i am not a kid anymore and have no interest in the getting dirty stuff as i used to do. The thing you have to worry about is rain storms, but i have plans for that. Basically run a tube up in the side fender or into the interior.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Mine will not be for off road use at all, i am not a kid anymore and have no interest in the getting dirty stuff as i used to do. The thing you have to worry about is rain storms, but i have plans for that. Basically run a tube up in the side fender or into the interior.

Air filter in the interior?? Maybe I misread this post???

Can't put it in the interior..... unless maybe you leave the windows down. It could create a vacuum rather quickly.... :hmm: Not good for motor or people inside.

P.S. There are a lot of "kids" in this forum. :)

OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
interior of the body panels, should be nice and dry up there. LOL i guess we are all kids in some way, some like dirt and some like speed. haha In the words of Ricky Bobby "I wanna go fast"!!!

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
be like the kids in the western deserts and go fast in the dirt. :D

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have seen air cleaners inside vehicles before. recently actually cant remember what it was on but it was in the center of the dashboard, o ya rally trucks. plus it gets cooler air if you have the ac on :rotflmao: it has been done and it does work. might be a lil overkill for our expys though.

OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
be like the kids in the western deserts and go fast in the dirt. :D

No deserts here, just swamps. When i was out in cali and Los Vegas I was seeing the off road rally front ends as a popular change.