Noise on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmk1

Reaction score
My local dealership quoted me 3 hours labor charge to replace thermostat, for a total of $567 excluding parts. I think it is insane.
That’s ridiculous. It would take them a matter of seconds to do it while doing the cam phasers. I just had mine done and it was $260 after tax.

bmk1

Reaction score
What's wrong with the thermostat? It's my wife's Expedition and she's very cheap lol. Doubt she would do it unless there's a really good reason.
They redesigned in 22 I believe it was. I have a 19 and it was getting over 230° engine temp and shutting down my AC. Plus 230 is just way too hot.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the danger in not getting the cam phasers replaced?

I asked our local dealer about it when the recall was announced and they said don’t bother if it isn’t causing an issue but now I’m getting the same rattle.

I’m trying to decide if I should fight about this replacement.

I also have a 2019 platinum with about 60,000 miles.

mharwardt

Reaction score
I just had the cam phasers on my 2019 Expedition XLT replaced. I have the extended warranty and the XLT has around 80,000 miles on it. It was noisy on a cold start just for a few seconds. So they had the SUV for two weeks, picked it up Friday, drove it home, and my husband said you're leaking water. Called Ford, they gave me number to call for a tow truck, had it towed back. Of course too late in day to get anything done. Waiting for call back from Ford. I hope they fix it soon, done right this time.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you explain cold start flooding please and also why.
It's not really flooding. If you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking the engine, it disables the injectors. This allows you to crank the engine for 3-5 seconds before removing your foot from the gas. That is enough to get a small amount of oil pressure built up and prevents a dry start for the cam phasers. You only need to do it on cold starts, like overnight. I've been doing it on my 5.4 Expedition for a couple of years now and it does work to reduce/eliminate the start up rattle.

Last edited:

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not really flooding. If you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking the engine, it disables the injectors. This allows you to crank the engine for 3-5 seconds before removing your foot from the gas. That is enough to get a small amount of oil pressure built up and prevents a dry start for the cam phasers. You only need to do it on cold starts like overnight.. I do this on my 5.4 and it eliminates the start up rattle. Hopefully it's also prolonging the life of the engine.

4x4 Fred

Reaction score
My wife's 2019 has started making a noise on cold starts. I will attach the video I made this morning. Please advise if you know what might cause this. It is close to 50K miles.

Had my 2019 Limited repaired under warranty in 2020 for the same problem. When it happened again in 2021, I traded it in. I have zero faith in that motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vazquez97