Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmk1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 with almost 79k that I purchased in February. I need to do the first oil change. I asked my dealer and they said they just use a motor craft synthetic blend. Obviously, I have no idea what kind of oil was used before. Do yall use a blend or full synthetic? If there was full synthetic in it before would it hurt it if I went back to
The blend?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 with almost 79k that I purchased in February. I need to do the first oil change. I asked my dealer and they said they just use a motor craft synthetic blend. Obviously, I have no idea what kind of oil was used before. Do yall use a blend or full synthetic? If there was full synthetic in it before would it hurt it if I went back to
The blend?
Go with full synthetic and change it BY every 5000 miles. Thats what I do and tell other to donif they plan on keeping the thing a while

OP
OP
B

bmk1

Reaction score
Go with full synthetic and change it BY every 5000 miles. Thats what I do and tell other to donif they plan on keeping the thing a while
I’ve had hell with it since I bought it but fingers crossed I’ve got all the problems fixed so hoping to drive it for a while. Switching to FS was what I was thinking as well just to be safe.

mtrosclair

Reaction score
I've been happy with the Pennzoil ultra platinum, I use it in all three of my vehicles. If you buy it on Amazon it's pretty reasonable also. The price difference from full synthetic to synthetic blend is not significant enough to even bother with using something that's a lesser quality product. On the subject of oil, the first thing I installed on my 2022 was the catch can and in a 5000 mile oil change interval I get about a half an ounce of liquid in it.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been happy with the Pennzoil ultra platinum, I use it in all three of my vehicles. If you buy it on Amazon it's pretty reasonable also. The price difference from full synthetic to synthetic blend is not significant enough to even bother with using something that's a lesser quality product. On the subject of oil, the first thing I installed on my 2022 was the catch can and in a 5000 mile oil change interval I get about a half an ounce of liquid in it.

Is there wss-m2c961-a1 on the box? Last time I checked a year ago, it was not printed on this certain brand. And I am not sure if Ford will use it as an excuse when you need warranty service related to engine.

mtrosclair

Reaction score
Is there wss-m2c961-a1 on the box? Last time I checked a year ago, it was not printed on this certain brand. And I am not sure if Ford will use it as an excuse when you need warranty service related to engine.
It meets API – SP which is equivalent to that.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. I've used Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil. I use a suction pump to drain the oil. It does a great job, and keeps me from having to remove the shield. I change faithfully every 5000 miles.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Instead of going full-synthetic, we use the Motorcraft semi-synthetic in our vehicles and change every 5K miles. I've aged out of changing it at home (vertigo when working under a vehicle) so take to the dealership. The cost of the oil and filter is more than you could buy it for, but the "works special" includes tire rotation, inspection, and outside car wash making it more affordable. I always make sure that I check my engine air and cabin air filters and replace them as needed so I don't get the sales pitch while I'm waiting.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I don't know what was in my 011 EL when I bought it a few years back (with 67K on it), but 5 days later, I took it to my local trusted shop & told them to use the Castrol GTX Premium Full Synthetic & Motocraft filter (which is what the owners manual states too) that I get from da Zon, and I have been getting it changed every 5-7K miles since then with zero issues :)

I also change my own Air & cabin filters, so no worries there, but if I was physically able to, I would do the oil changes myself, but unfortunately, that ship has sailed a while ago...

And just an FYI, my mechanic mentioned the 1st time that once you go FS, you can't switch back to blend or regular, due to the differences in the compounds that make up the different types which aren't compatible with each other... so I called 2 different Ford dealerships & they said the same thing....