Ooohh, boy. Doh! Problems already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay, so picked up my new (to me) '04 Expy from the stealership today, and already I've apparently got some work to do...

Job #1: Driving back to Austin from Houston, and 150 miles from home the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. Doh! Stop by Autozone and have them read the engine code, and it's P0128, coolant temp too low. Noticed gas mileage plummet over the next 150 miles. Okay, so looks like I've got to (judging from most posts I've read about this) replace the thermostat. (Hopefully, it's just that... but, we'll see.) So, now job #1.

Job #2: I noticed on the way home that the cruise control doesn't work. Doesn't light up anything on the dash when you hit Cruise On, or Set. Nada. Okay, so job #2.

Job #3: The rear-seat DVD (an aftermarket POS installed by the previous owner) has a DVD ("Troy", which while a decent movie, isn't good for my 5, 6, and 10 year old kiddos...). Anyone know if it's possible to install an original equipment DVD player if the truck didn't originally have one?

Job #4: It would appear the motor for the pedals is busted. Looks like I'm going to have to order part number 2L1Z-2455-BB and replace that whole assembly. Doh.

Job #5: I've noticed when getting into the seat, if I push back, I hear a small clunk, and it would appear the seat is a bit loose at the front. Hope it's just a loose bolt on the seat rail, but I'll see tomorrow.

So, yay. Lots of stuff to do, hopefully this will take care of the majority of the Murphy's Law stuff for this truck, and I can get down to just enjoying it. On the plus side, it ran great, was comfortable, and looks great.

Anyone got any tips on any of the above jobs? Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or commiseration, guys...

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Oh, and a pic of the new toy:
1FMRU15W44LB74510-7_640w480h.jpg

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you buy it "AS IS"? I would try to see if they can at least take care of the CEL. And Welcome!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you buy it "AS IS"? I would try to see if they can at least take care of the CEL. And Welcome!

This^

Some dealers (especially dealerships) will have a 15/30 day, such and such mileage warranty, even on AS IS car. Kinnda sucks this all happened on the way home from the dealership?

Did you not notice these things when test driving, or did you use them as leverage to get a lower price?

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the CEL came on during the ride home, and I missed the other stuff before we bought the truck. I called them about it, and was basically told "as is" means "as is", i.e.- they're not doing a thing about it. I've already fixed the CEL by replacing the thermostat (gotta love only $10 for a thermostat and gasket), so now on to fixing the rest of the issues. Looks like I'm probably going to just replace the entire back seat DVD player, as the AUX inputs aren't working on it, either.

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the back of the brake petel for the cruise issue. There is a plunger back there that has to be hit. On mine the braket that holds the plunger had been bent over the years. Easy fix.

On the adjustable petels, the most common issue with that is the gears inside the assy the plastic gear strips. Unless u hit the junk yard u need to replace the whole assy.

Colant issue may be the radiator cap as well. I know 4 expys now that had issues with the cap. 3 bucks for a new one at AutoZone.

Ohh and the DVD player. I think the number is something like only 15% of all expys sold with a DVD player. I would just buy a new flip down unit and hopefully the previous owner wired it properly so u won't have to drop the head liner.

Hope this nfo helps. I have an 03 xlt 5.4 myself.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ExpyKurt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome!

Your truck looks like mine! I have an 05 XLT 5.4, same everything down to the running boards. With the list you have, it sounds like my truck LoL... Good luck with the list. I'm slowly working my list down too.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the cruise control check the fuse, as well as making sure all your brake lights work.