Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please......you are not insulting me. I understand that sometimes simple things are overlooked. But unfortunately it was installed properly. I may just take it out anyway tomorrow for the hell of it.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, truck had been sitting for over 12 hrs. I get in turn the key to start and the temp gauge goes to middle and slowly creeps up as I attempt to start it but now the truck won't start at all.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems very strange that the temp gauge goes to the middle after it has set for 12 hours

try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes this will reset the PCM then try a restart

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, I would say we are moving on to the electrical diag part of this problem. you're gonna need to check the resistance of all of your temp sensors to find the bad one. I would start with the one (or two if so equipped) on the coolant crossover part of the intake. I will have to find the expected resistance readings. but in the mean time this could be checked and recorded for when the specs are listed

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry,I meant it would crank over but not start. This truck ran perfect until this started to happen. I forgot to mention this is not the original engine though. My wife did not check the oil and blew the motor so I got one from a salvage yard and put it in myself. But that was over 2 1/2 years ago. I did put new coils in it 2 weeks ago. But I do not believe this is relevant to my current issues.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not for the over heating issue Yesterday I suggested removing the t/stat If you do then take the new stat and place it in a pot of water and heat till it boils. Use a pair of long nose pliers and remove the stat while the water is still boiling and see if the stat is open

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need any electrical prints let me know I have a complete set for both the 1st and 2nd generations along with service manuals

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for the starting issue you may want to check fuse 2 and 18 under the hood
and fuse 2 and 30 under the dash.

you can also try spraying a small amount of starter fluid or carb cleaner into the intake to see if the engine fires but again just a small amount