Platinum 4-wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hdfxrs

Reaction score
Not happy with the 4-wheel drive selector in my 2018 Platinum. It only goes into 4-wheel auto. No way to select 4-wheel full time. Is there a way to program the computer to do this? I believe the other models have this function.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not happy with the 4-wheel drive selector in my 2018 Platinum. It only goes into 4-wheel auto. No way to select 4-wheel full time. Is there a way to program the computer to do this? I believe the other models have this function.

I thought the drives modes helps controls 4wd?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You do not need 4H, it does nothing that 4A can’t do, and can be driven on any surface with no binding.

Turn the Mode knob to Grass/Gravel/Snow and drive. Press the ELSD lock button if you get stuck to lock rear with the clutches. Press 4L if you need more grunt. Best on road or slippery snow 4WD system I have used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mud/ruts drive mode gets you 4H. See below from the 2019 manual. View attachment 39128

But again, my statement above stands. 4A has done an outstanding job for me. Other than clearance, this and my 2017 did better in snow and muddy roads than my 2006 lifted 250 with a rear locker. The 250 did it by sheer brute force, this thing just goes. Puts power where it is needed, and just goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit late but I was going to say the same, mud and ruts puts it in 4 high just like the 4H selection on the 3rd gens. Regular 4H is more useful in the nasty stuff than 4A (mainly rutted trails). 4H still gets the AdvanceTrac braking bias too but the locked 50/50 power has done the best for me at the cabin on those closed rutted roads (glorified ATV trails). 4A works but the issue is it unlocks the front driveshaft when you let off the gas and it’s just not as controlled. In 4H watch for binding, it will happen so don’t crank the wheel to hard.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the OP does not have the 4H option. However, even without 4H you can lock the transfer case. And for the record, while I do not go boondocking or any kind of serious off roading, my Expi is like a mountain goat in snow.

this from the '18 manual.

upload_2020-12-2_6-15-5.png

Guess I cannot remove the double attachment

upload_2020-12-2_6-13-52.png