Power Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpoJo

Reaction score
ok, so who has experience with window motor/reg breaking? I know its a cable system in our vehicles and I know that is broken, motor still turns when I hit button... is it a 1 piece system you have to buy to fix? I havent even taken door panel off so I have no idea what it even looks like... trying to fix this thing the most cost efficient way... any help is appreciated... Thanks.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is when mine broke I heard a snap and somthing fall. It was replaced under warranty but apparently its known issue. Mine is an 07 too.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I can say is when mine broke I heard a snap and somthing fall. It was replaced under warranty but apparently its known issue. Mine is an 07 too.

Same thing for me. Plastic piece broke and I had it replaced under warranty.

ExpyBillD

Reaction score
Just had the driver's side door window motor replaced at a cost of $405. Purchased my 2007 EL Limited with 101K on it and was surprised how slow the driver's window would go up. Eventually it stopped and had to force it up. The other doors are fine, so far. I had a '97 Expy until I traded it in with 257K on it and never had to replace any power window apparatus. Mechanic said the cable systems is sort of a forced obsolesence type thing.. not made to last.

Jaylegger

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Navigator with an ailing driverside power window. It went down ok but was slow going up and as the temperature dropped it got even slower with the added bonus of a squealling noise as well. In a week, as the temp fell it went from tolerable to not moving at all with the restriction causing the slowness tripping the stop/reverse safety feature. I was prepared to purchase either the regulator or motor but as a last resort I pulled off the door panel to have a go at it. I greased the rails which the window guides move up and down but much to my dismay this had zero effect on the performance of the window. I then doused the two cable guide wheels and their bearings with silicon lube and that fixed the problem. My drivers side window is now faster up/down than the passenger window by a second which by all accounts seems to work perfectly. I'll be monitoring the fix but so far after 4 days it's still operating quicker than the passener window.

I will note that when I operated the window motor after I greased the rails my arm leaned against the motor accidentally and I was startled how hot it was and would surmize it wouldn't be long before the motor burned up.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 2008 used this Spring, I also had trouble with the front windows. I thought I could just lube the tracks. Once I removed the door panel on the passenger side, I realized it was going to need more than just lube. The cable was frayed and needed replacement. I called my local Ford dealer and made an appointment (not the selling dealer).

Both the passenger and driver window regulators were replaced under warranty. I had the selling dealer through in a Ford ESP as part of the deal. After the fix was completed, I contacted the selling dealership and they sent me a $100 check to cover the deductibale. Thankfully, the Ex is not my primary vehicle and did not leave myself or the wife without a vehicle while being repaired.

Good luck with the repair.

If I remeber correctly, the regulator/motor is a single unit that did not look too hard to replace. But I have been wrong before.