Replacing a power steering pump on a 2000 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey Bruzek

Reaction score
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area but I did a general search & can't find what I am looking for, which is:

Power steering pump quit on us & we want to replace it ourselves. A friend told me there is a special tool I need to do that...does anyone know what it is called & where I can get one? Also, is this a DIY project or would we be better off taking it in to a mechanic?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SECTION 211-02: Power Steering
2000 Expedition/Navigator Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Procedure revision date: 04/22/2003
Power Steering Pump

Special Tool(s)
SYJ~us~en~file=ST1444A.gif~gen~ref.gif
Teflon® Seal Replacer Set
211-D027 (D90P-3517-A) or equivalent
Removal and Installation

1. Remove the power steering pump pulley. For additional information, refer to Power Steering Pump Pulley in this section.
  1. If equipped, disconnect the electronic variable (EVO) power steering control valve actuator.

• SYJ~us~en~file=A0046367.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Disconnect the power steering reservoir pump hose and pressure line from the power steering pump.
    • Drain the power steering oil reservoir.

• SYJ~us~en~file=A0046368.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Remove the three bolts and the pump.

• SYJ~us~en~file=A0046366.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Install a new power steering seal on the power steering pressure fitting by stretching the seal over the seal replacer until it is large enough to slip over the threads of the fitting.

• SYJ~us~en~file=A0041934.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Install the power steering pump pulley. For additional information, refer to Power Steering Pump Pulley in this section.

• SYJ~us~en~file=DG0787A.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Fill and leak check the system. For additional information, refer to Section 211-00 .

SECTION 211-02: Power Steering
2000 Expedition/Navigator Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Procedure revision date: 04/22/2003
Power Steering Pump Pulley

Special Tool(s)
SYJ~us~en~file=ST1290A.gif~gen~ref.gif
Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover
211-016 (T69L-10300-B)
SYJ~us~en~file=ST1586A.gif~gen~ref.gif
Power Steering Pump Pulley Replacer
211-185 (T91P-3A733-A)
Removal

1. Rotate the tensioner clockwise and remove the belt from the power steering pump pulley. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .

• SYJ~us~en~file=AQ0718A.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. Remove the skid plate, if equipped.
    1. Remove the bolts.
    1. Remove the skid plate.

• SYJ~us~en~file=GG0282A.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Using the special tool, remove the power steering pump pulley.

• SYJ~us~en~file=DG1713A.gif~gen~ref.gif
Installation

1. SYJ~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif
    CAUTION: Install a new power steering pump pulley after being removed and installed two times.

Using the special tool, install the power steering pump pulley.
    • Inspect the pulley for paint marks in the web area near the hub. If there are two paint marks, install a new pulley. If there is no paint mark or one paint mark, use a paint pencil to mark the web area of the pulley near the hub.

• SYJ~us~en~file=DG1714A.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Install the skid plate, if equipped.
    1. Position the skid plate into place.
    1. Install the bolts.

• SYJ~us~en~file=DG0632A.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Rotate the belt tensioner, then install the belt on the power steering pump pulley.

OP
OP
Mickey Bruzek

Mickey Bruzek

Reaction score
Thank you Bedrck47! I appreciate the help.

What can I do to see the photos you posted? Also, the power steering pump pulley section you linked is not working...

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What your looking for is a
Ford Power Steering Pulley Puller/Installer
Screenshot_2017-03-27-19-36-41.png

If you have an autozone near you or a parts store that rents tools, be the best way to go, or you buy the kit.

Fairly easy job for a diy.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The pulley swap is the worst part. It was a nightmare. I changed a pump on a 1999 Town Car 4.6l. The Electronic steering assist, was leaking. It took so much torque to seat the pulley, on the new pump, it stripped the threads off the tool. The two other Autozone, loaner tools, also were stripped(by someone else). I wound up getting a used pump, with a pulley already on it. Since it was bad, I experimented with the old pulley and pump. I put the pulley(wrapped in foil) in the toaster oven for 10 min, on 400. Using gloves and a mallet, popped it on the pump. The heat expanded the hole, for a few seconds. It worked, but I recommend buying a pump with a pulley. It is worth the extra $20, not having to mess around. The pump itself is a easy swap. It is on the bottom and easy to get to.

Last edited: