Rocker panel rot - leak source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Did you see huge round holes punched in the inner rocker panels facing the driveshaft? These are covered with rubber tape from the factory. Once the tape's gone, the rockers fill with mud and salt...

OP
OP
D

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL with just over 100k miles and I have the same issue with the rocker panel rotted complete out on the driver side and worse near the passenger door.

I looked in the rear wheel well and there is a giant gap in the seam.

View attachment 80271

I too suspect this is the root cause for the rocker panels to be rotting from the inside out.

Drmayer88, did Ford offer any assistance or recognize that this is a factory issue?​

ThanksView attachment 80274View attachment 80273View attachment 80272
Sorry i just saw your response. I tried getting some help from Ford but they kept jacking me around. Dealer would tell me to contact Ford - Ford told me to work with dealer. I got an estimate from a dealer and they were going to send to ford for review - but then they said "it's out of warranty". Well yeah, i know that. BTW, the estimate from ford was $24k!

I have given up with ford - and purchased some replacement rockers from ebay. I plan to get some panel bonding adhesive and try my luck at a DIY fix. As you know it doesn't have to look perfect - just prevent further corrosion.

timbits588

Reaction score
Sorry i just saw your response. I tried getting some help from Ford but they kept jacking me around. Dealer would tell me to contact Ford - Ford told me to work with dealer. I got an estimate from a dealer and they were going to send to ford for review - but then they said "it's out of warranty". Well yeah, i know that. BTW, the estimate from ford was $24k!

I have given up with ford - and purchased some replacement rockers from ebay. I plan to get some panel bonding adhesive and try my luck at a DIY fix. As you know it doesn't have to look perfect - just prevent further corrosion.

@Drmayer88 Do you have a link to the replacement rockers? I've been trying to read as many threads as I can about this, bc my 2017 EL is doing the same thing. I've read that some are buying the more generic replacement kits that go over the rot and that there are also full replacement kits where the bad is cut out and the new is welded in.
I'm trying to find both to compare and contrast, but haven't found much as of yet. Thank you! -tim

Goldmember

Reaction score
I got the same runaround from Ford. Ford asked me to contact the dealer, I tried 4 Ford dealers, and none of them would assist me. Without a dealer diagnosis, Ford will do nothing. Great customer service tactic to avoid liability.

I also recently cleared the sunroof drains and noticed that the water was draining through the rotted out holes in the rocker panels. It was worse on the driver side. Likely another source of water ingress into the rocker panels…

Overall, it’s a very capable vehicle so I will live with the rotted out panels.