Roof lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oefootball_70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like this?

images

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Most people either use something like what is shown above, or mount traditional off road lights to a roof rack or basket. You really don't want to mount the lights directly to the roof of the truck. The metal isn't really all that strong, and I can just about guarantee that they are going to leak.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I would tend to shy away from roof mounted lights, you will almost certainly have to deal with a lot more wind noise and drag. The previous owner of my truck removed the roof basket and all 5 7" lights because he said he couldn't stand the noise.

And finally, check your local laws. Some states require that those lights be covered for on-road use. It can be a real pain to cover and uncover those lights all the time. It can be an even bigger pain to keep getting tickets for it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
about to add 2 KCs where the hellas are and convert them to 5000K 35watt hid.

0627021049.jpg

0627021050.jpg

Oefootball_70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if all goes as planned, I am looking at a 40" LED bar. Should light up.... everything. HA!

Hoping that it doesn't cause the following
A. Too much noise.
B. Leaking roof.

Just have to make sure to seal any holes I have to drill. I had cab lights on my last truck and never had a leak (until the lens got cracked by hail). So i'm not too worried about B. But I am worried about the noise.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put rubber grommets between the bolt and the metal. Should help combat leaking. I would still do it on a roof rack if it were my truck. I would be afraid the roof might rust over time too.

EDIT: I did not notice that the light bar had brackets on either side, that isn't so bad then. Forget what I was saying haha.

Last edited:

Oefootball_70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, now that I've had all night to think I might consider a 30 inch bar behind the grill. Idk. What do you guys think?