Shift Sys fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave91gt

Reaction score
Anybody seen this alert? Our 2019 Stealth just started popping this up at times when using the rotary knob. It doesn't seem to affect it and will clear on a restart. Expy has 34K. I do have an issue with the right rear taillight getting condensation. The fault first appeared after a super heavy rainstorm and disconnecting the battery kept it off for a few days. It reappeared after I washed it. My daughter also noticed the brake light on that side didn't illuminate the morning after I washed it, although it did later when I checked. Fortunately, I sent a picture to the dealer of the condensation and he ordered a replacement taillight (over $1,000). 3/36 expires in June. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen this alert and has any input. Searching turns up very little.
I'm not convinced the taillight issue is driving the fault.
I did connect my handheld code reader when the wrench light was illuminated and it did not detect any codes.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They cost soo much money 'cause there is a shit load of electrical in there. If you are getting water and it is shorting or grounding a camera or some other sensor it could very well be your problem. Good luck with it.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey @dave91gt what ever happened with your fault? Mine just started doing this and it's happening a lot now. Luckily I already have service scheduled for next monday and was actually going to get a tranny flush done but then this started happening. Happens a lot going from Park to Drive. I removed my tune just to make sure that had nothing to do with it, and it happened within 24 hours. As you said, I hooked up a scanner and didn't get any codes, I do get notification in the fordpass app.

Guess I could try hooking up forscan to see if it find additional codes. I've read on a few other forums, F150, and even completely different platforms like the explorer and escape where people have had to get new tranny's following this message. Good times! I'm at 50k miles, here we go with more issues!

OP
OP
D

dave91gt

Reaction score
hey @dave91gt what ever happened with your fault? Mine just started doing this and it's happening a lot now. Luckily I already have service scheduled for next monday and was actually going to get a tranny flush done but then this started happening. Happens a lot going from Park to Drive. I removed my tune just to make sure that had nothing to do with it, and it happened within 24 hours. As you said, I hooked up a scanner and didn't get any codes, I do get notification in the fordpass app.

Guess I could try hooking up forscan to see if it find additional codes. I've read on a few other forums, F150, and even completely different platforms like the explorer and escape where people have had to get new tranny's following this message. Good times! I'm at 50k miles, here we go with more issues!
The dealer ended up changing a part in the transmission. I believe it was the shift solenoid-
They only dropped the pan and not the valve body as far as I know.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, it's been in the shop for a week and as you'd expect, that haven't even looked at it yet. Told me I'd be in line for the transmission tech for at least 2 weeks to diag. Luckily they did get the code but now I'm having a hard time replicating the issue. Having said that, they were pretty adamant that they "don't usually just replace the solenoid, they usually do the whole valve body". So we'll see what happens. On a side note, the 2024 F150 they gave me as a loaner shifts way smoother than my Expy, it's night and day.

OP
OP
D

dave91gt

Reaction score
Thanks, it's been in the shop for a week and as you'd expect, that haven't even looked at it yet. Told me I'd be in line for the transmission tech for at least 2 weeks to diag. Luckily they did get the code but now I'm having a hard time replicating the issue. Having said that, they were pretty adamant that they "don't usually just replace the solenoid, they usually do the whole valve body". So we'll see what happens. On a side note, the 2024 F150 they gave me as a loaner shifts way smoother than my Expy, it's night and day.
Ours was intermittent too. And the fun part is after they changed it, I took the wife to get it and after we got home (25 miles), I smelled trans fluid. It was dripping on the driveway. I called and they told me to drive it back and they’d take care of it. I refused and made them come get it on a rollback. They did- and had no other issues after that fix. We just traded it on a Bronco actually as we no longer needed a big SUV. But my wife is in withdrawals I think. We bought it used with 25k and traded it at 61k. No real issues other than that shift fault.