Shop told me they won’t change plugs /tune up on my 99 Triton 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
Penetrating oil applied a couple of times over a couple of days and allowed to heat cycle will help. once a plug turns loose, tighten it a bit then back it out some more.Keep working it like that. Once you have cleared the carbon build up getting it the rest of the way out should be considerably easier.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08 5.4l, the plugs get changed every 80k miles, just changed them again, am at 220k miles, still have original coils and no issues, it takes me about 2 hours to change all 8 plugs. I usually disconnect the knock sensor above each spark plug and then disconnect the coil plug, remove the mounting bolt and remove the coil. Then remove the spark plug, usually very tight and stiff. Then replace the plug, refit the coil, reconnect the coil and knock sensor and then repeat the entire process for the next spark plug. I find the passenger side plugs the easiest to get to, for the driver side, I also remove the ducting from the air filter box to the throttle body to make it easier to access the plugs. I put a small smear of copper slip (copper grease) on the threaded section of the new spark plug to try and make it easier to remove later on..