SHOPPING FOR A NEW EXPEDITION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Shumway

Reaction score
Shopping for a new Expedition. This will be my third one. Owned a 1997...
2004 and now shopping for a 2018 to 2020. Going to be towing a camper trailer 3000lbs dry opprox. Question is will I need to get one with a HD Tow package or will a standard be fine?
Thanks

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(Here we go again)

Or, ya know, don’t get it.

Towing capacity of the standard setup is 6k pounds. If you don’t plan on towing anything north of 4500-5000 pounds (which it doesn’t sound like you will), the standard set up will be perfectly great.

Yes, there are some other benefits of the package (upgraded radiator, quicker acceleration off the line, trailer backup controller and trailer brake controller). But the package costs $1250+ and will cost you some mpg.

I don’t tow so I didn’t buy it. I don’t miss it.

If you NEED it to tow more than the standard capacity or for the peace of mind that you have the ability to do so in the future, buy it. If you don’t NEED it but you WANT the other benefits at the cost of mpg and $1250, go for it and enjoy it in good health. Buy what you want, it’s your vehicle.

(Cue everyone telling me how wrong I am and that I’m an idiot for buying mine without the tow pack. [emoji6] )

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(Here we go again)

Or, ya know, don’t get it.

Towing capacity of the standard setup is 6k pounds. If you don’t plan on towing anything north of 4500-5000 pounds (which it doesn’t sound like you will), the standard set up will be perfectly great.

Yes, there are some other benefits of the package (upgraded radiator, quicker acceleration off the line, trailer backup controller and trailer brake controller). But the package costs $1250+ and will cost you some mpg.

I don’t tow so I didn’t buy it. I don’t miss it.

If you NEED it to tow more than the standard capacity or for the peace of mind that you have the ability to do so in the future, buy it. If you don’t NEED it but you WANT the other benefits at the cost of mpg and $1250, go for it and enjoy it in good health. Buy what you want, it’s your vehicle.

(Cue everyone telling me how wrong I am and that I’m an idiot for buying mine without the tow pack. [emoji6] )

do we really have evidence the tow pack costs mpg? Ford doesn’t say that.

what we do have evidence of is people regularly posting how they wish they had the tow pack and even how to add the parts(not fun)

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do we really have evidence the tow pack costs mpg? Ford doesn’t say that.

what we do have evidence of is people regularly posting how they wish they had the tow pack and even how to add the parts(not fun)

Physics. If your driveshaft has to spin more times for each rotation of the wheels, you have to burn more dead dinos for the same distance traveled. Not much more, no.

And I agree, that’s why I said if the OP wants it, he should buy it. But to drag around a 3300lb trailer, he doesn’t NEED it...which is what he asked. In other words: a standard, non-hd setup is physically capable and suited to pull what he wants to pull.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Physics. If your driveshaft has to spin more times for each rotation of the wheels, you have to burn more dead dinos for the same distance traveled. Not much more, no.

And I agree, that’s why I said if the OP wants it, he should buy it. But to drag around a 3300lb trailer, he doesn’t NEED it...which is what he asked. In other words: a standard, non-hd setup is physically capable and suited to pull what he wants to pull.

It’s not that simple. The load on the engine effects a lot of stuff. That’s not even accounting for use of 10th more than 9th, 8th etc. your effective ratio might be the same or worse with a 3.15 or 3.31 on a little incline. Lot more to it than what you said.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not that simple. The load on the engine effects a lot of stuff. That’s not even accounting for use of 10th more than 9th, 8th etc. your effective ratio might be the same or worse with a 3.15 or 3.31 on a little incline. Lot more to it than what you said.

I’d also cite the fact that Ford picked the 3.31 as the standard ratio as evidence of its increased efficiency...helps them with their overall mpg numbers.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Except when I asked dealers about this they reported back ford doesn’t change the mpg rating based on the rear gear. There is a concept called the fuel island. Basically all engines have a range where if they operate under a certain load, the efficiency is really close.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only difference in fuel economy (a very small one) is in highway driving. Around town, I doubt there will be any difference at the same acceleration. The throttle has to be pushed a little harder for a 3.31 axle vehicle to accelerate at the same pace. The transmission could upshift quicker with the 3.73 axle ratio. I tested both and the 3.73 axle felt quicker. Remember, Ford has to worry about a few hundredths of a difference in MPG. I would be very surprised if real world consumption would be much difference.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 with the 3.73 is rated for 22 highway. No way I can get that except with tailwind. I tried different speeds and best average I can get is around 20-21 mpg. Mostly We get 19.5. I am fine with this since my minivan gets 20.5 under similar conditions.

I can’t verify that this is due to gear ratio though.

Ford produces the 3.31 for a reason. If the price is right and that’s what you need just go for it.

My main reason for choosing the 3.73 was the limited slip function.