SHOPPING FOR A NEW EXPEDITION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotthere

Reaction score
Warning Doug, if you put more than 22 kegs of beer in your 3000 lb trailer you will be over max load. For that reason alone you should consider the HD tow package. [emoji481] This means
HD tow can save fuel consumption (less Trips to market for beverage.

Both sides of the discussion have merit. I looked hard to find a reasonable price on a used expy 302A with HD tow or a 303A which come with it. Tomorrow I'm picking up a platinum without the tow package OTD $53K. I only found one 303A it was listed $3k more and 5k more miles than the one I chose. It was sold before I could see it.

I wish Ford offered a "performance cooling" option. Most folks don't need HD tow but could benefit from a more robust cooling system based on their driving habits (heavy foot [emoji4], lots of mountains, hot climate). Maybe they could call it a global warming prep package GWPP.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd just like to know how they come-up with their "max tow rating." In the last 10 years, I've become quite dubious of most manufacturer tow ratings. Based on what I've seen from late-model rigs, for at least the 1/2-tons and below (including the Expy), I'm pretty leery of towing more than 75% ...maybe 80% total declared "max towing capacity." As anecdotal evidence, I towed my 6200# camper (GVWR) for camping trip last weekend (with the max HD trailering package) and saw some pretty scary trans temps here in Arizona (going-up grades). We didn't even have water or waste in the tanks ...going-up or coming back, because we went to a campground with full hookups. (So, I was probably closer to 6000#). I did have 6 people in the car, including myself, but virtually nothing else except a bag of tools and a roadside 12V air-compressor (5#).

If I was trying to tow a 8000#...or 9000# camper, I may have had a virtually new Expy with a fried transmission. I intend on going much, much slower on the significant uphill grades next time to see if that makes a major difference, but it's pretty aggravating to get stuck behind a 15-20mph semi going-up a steep, two-lane grade. I guess it's what I'm going to have to start doing to hope this 10R80 lasts.

Seems to me that towing capacity should be based on a 6-7% grade and at least 110F temps outside. I bet we'd see them drop the base Expy to 4500-5000# max and the HD towing package down to 7800-8400#. Gotta wonder (and I saw the hate for GM earlier ...but I've owned 'em all, and had frustrating problems with them all) ...but maybe the Tahoe / Suburban / Yukons would have handled my trailer better (if they're more honest with their towing numbers ...basing them on extreme conditions).

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eeeeeasy there big fella, I get enough snark from my wife and kids.

OP asked if he needed the tow pack. You said yes. I said “eh, not really but if you want it, go for it.”

The only reason I waded back into this no-win dispute again (I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I’ve had it with someone on here) is because once again someone responded to the “do I need the HD tow pack?” question with: “yes, you do it’s better in every way, absolutely.” And while it’s super-nice of you to spend the OP’s money for them, that answer is misleading.

Something like what you just said (“based on my experience, while you don’t need the hd tow pack because the 3.31 will handle what you currently have planned just fine, you’ll probably be a lot happier with the upgrade because _______”) is a much more accurate and helpful answer.

Be calm and enjoy your Saturday. Namaste

Problem with that is, you are “spending the guys money for him” too. Just because the delivery isn’t what you want it to be, doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Being a control freak about what others post and how they post it is a personal problem, not a reason to attack it.

Still no proof of your mpg claim and worrying about 1200 bucks on a 50-70k purchase is implying somebody is stretching to afford it. That’s about 20 bucks a month based on the way they finance these things. Way cheaper than finding out like a lot of guys have that they want to upgrade.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem with that is, you are “spending the guys money for him” too. Just because the delivery isn’t what you want it to be, doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Being a control freak about what others post and how they post it is a personal problem, not a reason to attack it.

Still no proof of your mpg claim and worrying about 1200 bucks on a 50-70k purchase is implying somebody is stretching to afford it. That’s about 20 bucks a month based on the way they finance these things. Way cheaper than finding out like a lot of guys have that they want to upgrade.

Oh, we’re still doing this? Ok.

So in the future I’m supposed to buy everything the manufacturer offers because I might need it some day.

And so I guess everyone should buy the Max (or L if a Navi) because they might find out they wanted to upgrade to more space. Oh, and 4wd, might want that some day. What else do I need to buy just in case?

I got it, friend, you believe the 3.73 is superior and required. I made my point so I’ll be done with it.