Special Service Message 51172 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Reduced Or Intermittent Power Steering Assist Or Steering Assist Fault Service Req'd Msg.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51172 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Reduced Or Intermittent Power Steering Assist Or Steering Assist Fault Service Required Message In IPC, DTC U2016:47 In PSCM

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may exhibit reduced or intermittent power steering assist levels at engine start up and vehicle not moving or Steering Assist Fault Service Required message in instrument panel cluster (IPC) with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U2016:47 present in the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM). This may be due to PSCM software. To correct the condition, reprogram the PSCM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS). For claiming, use causal part 3504 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

tenmidgets

Reaction score
I am seeing this message on my 2022 Expedition.

Do I need to bring this to the dealer to address an actual steering issue?

Or is a software update needed to stop seeing these messages and there is no actual steering problem?

Thanks

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The PSCM software update is intended to address both conditions, that is, the described steering behavior, or, the "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" message with DTC U2016:47 occurring without any steering symptoms present.

Contact your dealer, tell them you're aware of SSM 51172 and that your vehicle is exhibiting the "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" messaging. They may ask if any of the described steering symptoms are present, so just describe how your vehicle has been behaving when the messages occurred.

Have the text of SSM 51172 on hand when you call, just in case the Service associate isn't immediately familiar with it. The Service associate can find it in the Professional Technician System under the TSB/GSB/SSM tab, listed as effective November 1, 2022.

Good luck!

CorvetteGuy88

Reaction score
I had this issue the other day- was wild. zero power steering assist, but after turning truck off and letting it sit overnight it operated as normal the next day. Gotta love modern cars / electronics