Start up sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
Attaching a video file for the audio (disregard the image - phone is underneath the engine and was pointing at the floor of my garage so I can capture the engine sound at startup). Any idea what is the rattling sound that last no more than 2 seconds that you hear right after the Expy cranks? In this example, engine is cold start after sitting in the garage for 2 days. Rattling sound occurs only on cold starts and only on occasions and rattles for 2 seconds max. My first thought was the cam phasers but I thought that would mean it always rattles on cold starts but mine only happens on occasions.

Truck is a 2019 Ford Expedition XLT mfg date Aug 2019. Approx 68,500 miles. Purchased new and I bought the Ford Premium CARE extended warranty plan. Trying to troubleshoot before I bring the Expy into the dealership (or if I need to) as the last time I brought it in for something else (AC) they kept it for 3 weeks (they did provide me a free loaner). Thanks so much for any information you guys can provide.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disregard. Video file too large to upload.
Crop the video and try to resend. You shouldn't need to place the phone under the vehicle to hear CP clatter with hood open and a cold engine startup. CP noise is pretty pronounced upon starting after sitting over night. This was my experience on a 2019 xlt with 35k.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Not able to load video of my cam phaser rattle - 2019 Exp Ltd w 109K. Rattel was initially intermittent and after sitting for couple of hours. Very brief rattle only a like 2 seconds. Then became constant with every start-up, hence called dealer on next steps. Dropped at local dealer last week, 2-day repair. Confirmed cam phasers as problem. Cost $3700 for the new generation phasers, new chains, tensioners, water pump, oil and coolant change. Had replace VCT solonoid seals on drivers side while in there (were leaking). Work comes w/ 2-yr unlimited mileage warranty. Had dealer also flush trans fluid while getting serviced. Truck seems to be running much better during drive to work this AM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoodemoot