Stereo Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiffmajig

Reaction score
I have an 09 XLT, without Nav and the SYNC system (it also has the factory rear DVD player). My wife is fussing about the not so great stereo and would like to have some upgrades done.

From the research I have done I REALLY do not want to mess with the factory head unit. With all of the SYNC integration, I would rather leave it be.

I have done a bunch of research but have little to NO results. Basic door speakers are easy but I do not know where to find info on HOW MUCH power is going to each speaker and is it worth upgrading the speakers without putting in an amp.

The final thing is she would like to add some bass without taking up space if possible. I found one article that mentioned the 3rd gens have two 8 inch subs in the back (one on either side) If so...has anyone ever messed with this area? are the wires run back there our would I have to start from scratch? and if so...where would I pick up the bass signal?

Sorry for all of the questions but Ford seems to have locked this system down pretty good.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I would do...

If you're a real man...tell you wife to quit complaining and enjoy her fully-loaded, very expensive, brand new suv.

If for some reason you fear your wife (or just want to avoid a fight, lol)...tell her that its not possible (or practical) to upgrade the system w/o replacing nearly everything and doing a ton of custom work.

I'm just yanking your chain, but I am semi-serious. I have some decent audio experience so I can help out with the basics, but I know ZERO about the 3rd gen trucks.

My two cents...on modern vehicles, its not worth replacing factory speakers without amping them. Factory speakers are very efficient and use very little power. Aftermarket speakers are going to need the extra power to sound good. There are oem interface options available (at least I assume; I know they exist for prior generations), so you could integrate aftermarket equipment with some stock components. As far as the subs go, see if they make prefab boxes designed for your specific truck. Check out JL, MTX, Q-Logic...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SPOT ON REMO!!! i switched out my door speakers...got a little better but my HU makes the differece with the EQ settings...next is to amp the doors up/go components...you should be able to find a stealth box that fits in the rear sub area...i think...but if you do the doors...go ahead and spend the extra $$$ for the 4-channel amp...

im thinking 2 sets of tweets in each door as well...6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is she just looking for a little more bass without distorting the highs? a simple bass tube could be an easy fix. first thing is find out exactly what she is unhappy with in the stereo.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a little JVC sub mounted under the middle rear seat. It's working pretty good. It's not going to rattle anyone's windows but it fills in the bass.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is she just looking for a little more bass without distorting the highs? a simple bass tube could be an easy fix. first thing is find out exactly what she is unhappy with in the stereo.

great suggestion...bring that back to us...

OP
OP
W

wiffmajig

Reaction score
I am literally laughing out loud reading your post REMO...Actually my wife is one of the coolest NON-nagging ladies I know. I am a very lucky man.

She does simply want more bass...You know that girly dance music will blow a factory speaker in a heart beat. So I am going to have to go with new door speakers and a bass tube may be my best bet.

Unfortunately I have not met anyone that has any experience with the 3rd gen trucks. Damn fancy multimedia systems!