Stereo Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded my 07 EL in stages. The first thing I did immediately after purchase, was have a 6-channel amp (only need 5) installed to power all the doors and a 10" Alpine sub in a sealed box in the cargo area. The installer removed the factory sub/amp from the driver's side rear cargo panel to make room for the amp. The sub box has velcro on the bottom of the legs so it stays put, but can easily be removed if I need the cargo space.

A few months later I upgraded the door speakers to Polk DB series, 6.5" components in the front doors and 5x7" coaxials in the rear.

Last week I finally upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH. It's a double-din touch screen unit that plays DVDs, has HD radio and Bluetooth built in. It's a really nice unit and overall made the biggest difference in the sound. Wish I had reversed the process and done the head unit first. There is a PAC interface that isn't cheap, but makes the integration with the factory system clean and simple. If you buy the head unit from Crutchfield, you will pay a little more than you might from Amazon or eBay, but you will get the PAC adapter for 50% off ($65 instead of $130), plus you'll get the dash kit and the antenna adapter, plus lifetime tech support on the product and 7-days per week installation assistance.

I was very hesitant to take on this install, but after quite a bit of research online and talking to the guys at Crutchfield I felt confident I could get it done. The install turned out great and I couldn't be happier. I will also feel better next time buying from a less expensive source if need be as I now realize it's not nearly as difficult as I was expecting.

Oh, one other thing that is nice, Crutchfield has a Mastersheet for your specific vehicle and it shows in fairly good detail how to remove and replace the factory head unit, door speakers, and even the subwoofer. The Mastersheet comes free with the head unit purchase, but you can also order it alone for $10, which I did just to see what I was up against ahead of time. They took the $10 off my order so it didn't cost me anything in the long run.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i tell'em about crutchfield all the time and give the same input you did...they dont hear us..lol

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha.. Even if they don't buy any equipment from Crutchfield, the Mastersheet alone is worth the $10 price.