Sub or amp dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine the most likely failing component. - sub, amp, or maybe signal from head unit?

2003 Expy Eddie Bauer with full factory system, 6-disc in dash changer. I've had this truck 20 years and never had an issue with the audio until recently.

A couple months back, the subwoofer didn't work after I muted the radio at my work's guard shack. I parked, did my 9 hours, and it worked at the end of the day... that was weird, so I considered it a one time glitch.

Yesterday it didn't work again. I had multiple stops, on/off cycles, going to 6 or 7 different stores. After a couple stops, the sub would notably bump or pop when the vehicle's power system would cycle on or off with the key. Turning the radio on/off or muting had no effect. At on point, I thought it was kind of working depending on the note frequency, but not at all to the level normally expected.

This morning, it worked normal again. When it's working, the factory system is good enough for me. Without the sub, the audio is flat and will be unacceptable. Even though it would sound better overall, I'd like to avoid a costly full system replacement.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the way home today, the sub sound was fading in and out. It didn't depend on speed, throttle, steering wheel turn.... nothing. Yesterday was hot, this morning was cool (80 for Florida in July) this afternoon was in between. Maybe heat related?... Amp failure based on heat? Who has a thought for me to chase?