Test for Transmission problems before purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankTheFrank

Reaction score
Looking to by a 2021 Limited 4wd with 18,000 miles. When i test drive it, regarding the transmission what should i look for and how should i test ?

I've read here about people abusing the transmission, rough shifting, skipping gears, etc

HEAVY-DUTY TRAILER TOW PKG
.3.73 NON-LMTED SLIP REAR AXLE

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 2.39.05 PM.png

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
skipping gears is a normal operation in normal drive mode. Don't forget to check camphaser

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Annie said it best: "some people wanna abuse you, some people wanna be abused by you" :)

Anyways, unless the transmission has been severely abused by a previous owner, it will be hard to tell, but one small way would be to change the fluid & filter (or have someone do it & let you look at the old stuff) whereby you could see either really dark, burnt-looking fluid and/or metal particles in it...

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Looking to by a 2021 Limited 4wd with 18,000 miles. When i test drive it, regarding the transmission what should i look for and how should i test ?

I've read here about people abusing the transmission, rough shifting, skipping gears, etc

View attachment 82189
I’d strongly recommend not testing it yourself—better take it for a PRE-purchase inspection and have it thoroughly examined. A new transmission? That’s just a $10k fix. I know because we had ours replaced at 30k miles—under warranty, but still a real pleasure to deal with.

Oh, and definitely consider an extended warranty for this beauty. Expeditions are known for their extensive issues. Just take a look around this site. Here’s a fun little list of the problems I’ve personally enjoyed: Cam Phasers, a new transmission, three rear ends, heating and cooling lines, and countless interior parts failing. And now, for the cherry on top—the AC doesn’t work and the EXP only has 50kmi!

Also, make sure to get real friendly with your dealer and local repair shop. Trust me, you’ll be getting to know them very well with how often you’ll be visiting.

PS… In all honesty, I would never buy an Expedition. But if you really have to have one, just lease it so you can hand it back and be done with it.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I’d strongly recommend not testing it yourself—better take it for a PRE-purchase inspection and have it thoroughly examined. A new transmission? That’s just a $10k fix. I know because we had ours replaced at 30k miles—under warranty, but still a real pleasure to deal with.

Oh, and definitely consider an extended warranty for this beauty. Expeditions are known for their extensive issues. Just take a look around this site. Here’s a fun little list of the problems I’ve personally enjoyed: Cam Phasers, a new transmission, three rear ends, heating and cooling lines, and countless interior parts failing. And now, for the cherry on top—the AC doesn’t work and the EXP only has 50kmi!

Also, make sure to get real friendly with your dealer and local repair shop. Trust me, you’ll be getting to know them very well with how often you’ll be visiting.

PS… In all honesty, I would never buy an Expedition. But if you really have to have one, just lease it so you can hand it back and be done with it.

View attachment 82189
btw, the reason our transmission needed to be replaced is because the EXP had what was called a Neutral Out condition which caused it to lose all power…did this on the highway 2xs. Press the accelerator and nothing happens, not even revving the engine, nothing. Pretty nuts on a 6 Lane busy LA Fwy! Anyways it was a TSB related to the transmission which they replaced.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 2018 Plat was purchased with 60k and sold with 75k. Had cam phasers and a pile of other work done under extended warranty but the trans was smooth.

My 2019 trans was rebuilt once at 45k (last fall, with revised parts) and is now getting a factory crate trans at 57k. It acts like the cam phasers or VCT solenoids are failing and it therefore can’t build boost smoothly off the line, but they can’t diagnose it until the trans is fixed.

I wish I hadn’t bought either one. The ESP extended warranty has saved my butt and is almost MANDATORY if you are seriously considering purchasing an Expedition. Beautiful vehicles when everything is dialed in and working properly, but in my experience, the 18/19 durability is just not there. Not sure how much better it is in the later years.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 82189
Actually, I do have advice. Stone cold, start it and immediately drive it. Use about 30% throttle up to highway speed. If it stumbles or hesitates or falls flat on the 3-5 upshift, then I’d be highly suspect that the trans is not a “good one”. That’s been the consistent telltale of my trans failing both times. That, and slow engagement of Reverse.

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 21 w/ $18k should still be under the bumper to 3/36 warranty and the 5/60 power train. If your anxious you can always buy Ford an extended warranty.

Otherwise go with your gut, warranty has your back and if it’s a bad rig, sell it