To go with 18” or 20” wheels on 23 Limited Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flathead40

Reaction score
We already have 30k miles on our 23 limited max and are looking at new wheels and tires. Not impressed with the ride quality of 22s and the generals are not holding balance. We do NOT have the CCD and given where we live 22” wheels are not ideal so looking to downsize to either 18” or 20”. I’m thinking of going with Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2s as the tire but not sure what wheel size would be best. We do lots of highway and gravel road driving and have yet to tow (use the F-150 for that).

Here’s the tire sizes I’m considering
18”
265/70 18 (timberline size 32.6”) would need to replace spare
Or
275/65 18 (XLT size 32.1”) can use stock spare

20”
275/55 20 (base limited 31.9”)
Or
275/60 20 (f-150 size 33”) need to buy a spare.

Just looking for the wisdom of the forum and any experience members have had doing this. Really looking for improved ride quality and durability.

Last edited:

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Although any of the sizes you listed would work fine, it's been my experience that the wider tires with taller sidewalls help absorb more of the bumpiness & shocks of driving on gravel roads, resulting in not only a smoother ride, but less wear & tear on your suspension as a whole...

However, the 18" rims/tires will put the vehicle closer to the ground, so if any of those gravel roads might have anything larger than gravel sticking up, this should be a consideration....but other hand, you will have more clearance between the tire & the fenders, which could in turn allow for an even taller sidewall, but the main consideration here is with the front end and whether the taller tires will or will not touch/rub on the inside when the wheels are turned...plus that type of a setup does not do that well on the highway, so it's a balancing act either way..

Also note that the 275/55/20's were the OEM size on many of the older models (like my 011 EL), and for good reason...they were bigger & heavier than the newer vehicles, and they provided a very good balance of ride comfort on the highway, as well as on semi-smooth/gravel roads....

I just changed from the stock 275/55/20 Wrangler SR-A's to 265/65/20 Defenders with zero problems, while still getting good clearance and a smooth ride, but this may or may not be applicable to a '23 model...

Good luck with whatever you chose to do :D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on what you are after. I had 18's on my 2019 and now I have 22's on my 2020 and I am going back to 18's. The lower profile isn't great offroad and that is what I need. I honestly feel like the 22's are a bit harsher on road also. My 22's are hammered though, they just don't work for my lifestyle. If you want on road performance then 20-22 will be better.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Forgot to mention this in my previous post:

This will show you a visual representation of the differences in tire/wheel sizes ie current vs proposed, and should help clarify what the possible differences will be in terms of sidewall height, diameter, width etc....also note the speedometer chart on the lower right side, which should be something to keep in mind if making a significant change in sizes :D

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with 275/70 R18 which was pretty close to stock height (According to the above calculator) to not change much of the clearance, and they work perfectly. I personally like the looks and the ride quality especially on poorly maintained roads is night and day from the stock setup.

PXL_20221105_130436598-X2.jpg

PXL_20221105_135921692-X2.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flathead40

Reaction score
I went with 275/70 R18 which was pretty close to stock height (According to the above calculator) to not change much of the clearance, and they work perfectly. I personally like the looks and the ride quality especially on poorly maintained roads is night and day from the stock setup.

I do like the look of those Tremor wheels on the Expedition. Did you have to trim the rear axles stubs for those to fit the center caps or is that just some of the F-150 wheels that require that? The 275/70-18s are typically load range E. Any issues with the stiffness of the sidewall as far a ride comfort?

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do like the look of those Tremor wheels on the Expedition. Did you have to trim the rear axles stubs for those to fit the center caps or is that just some of the F-150 wheels that require that? The 275/70-18s are typically load range E. Any issues with the stiffness of the sidewall as far a ride comfort?
Yes, trimming is required for all the F150 wheels that I know of. Needs to be done to fit the centercap. I did a bunch of measuring and then hit it with the sawzall. It's some hard metal, took my time and used a couple of blades but it was easy enough work as long as the weather is cooperative. Totally worth it to me as I love these wheels especially with the color of the truck, it's a fantastic match.

PXL_20221008_190535426-M.jpg

I wanted some decent tires as we were headed to Moab for Thanksgiving week and they worked great. They might be stiff tires but the ride is freaking plush compared to the ride with the 22's. I think if the tires were softer it'd affect the handling. It still handles curves pretty well with this setup for the big lumbering pig that it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhmurphy1960