Trying to install AVIC z140

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tw1112

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the world of Expeditions as we just picked up a 2006 XLT the other weekend. I am trying to install a Pioneer Avic z140bh in place of the oem head unit and am trying to find the VSS and the reverse wire to tap into. Everything I have found on the search and google so far point me to earlier year models and I hear that wiring changes almost every year?

Also, on the back of the oem head unit, I have two plugs, the main power harness and then what seems to be the dvd harness and no subwoofer plug. My expedition doesn't have the overhead dvd player...so am I missing something? Thanks all for any help!

OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Oblivion! Yeah I picked up a Scosche harness and have it pretty much wired up.

I attached a picture of the back of my oem radio. Am I wrong that the smaller of the two plugs is for a dvd player and not the sub?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 268

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
Thanks bricekin. Yeah I looked it up on YouTube also but am having a lot of trouble taking the pin out. Found another way to bypass so I might try that first.

Yeah I will take a look for the grey black wire on the harness, but I'm not sure how I would check to see if it is the vss or not? Only way would be to hook it up first and check the settings while I drive no?

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, one of the ways you can tell is if the scosche harness has a wire that occupies the same slot on the factory harness. If it does, it is likely not the VSS.

If you have a digital multimeter, I could be wrong on this, the VSS should be an AC voltage signal. Obviously, you would have to measure this while the vehicle is in motion.

OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
That's a good idea about checking the harness wiring. I will do that this afternoon when I get a chance to work on my truck again. Man I wish I would've just gone with kenwood or alpine so I wouldn't have to deal with the vss heh

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good idea about checking the harness wiring. I will do that this afternoon when I get a chance to work on my truck again. Man I wish I would've just gone with kenwood or alpine so I wouldn't have to deal with the vss heh

Both Kenwood and Alpine also use a VSS input. None of them actually require it. It's mostly just so that if the unit doesn't have GPS signal, it doesn't have to wait for signal to come back before it can keep tracking you. I never had it hooked up in my Thunderbird and I didn't have it hooked up for about 7 months in my A4 and they worked fairly well without it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to ground the parking wire i believe to have all options working...you can also youtube bypass for your make/model and they'll show you...some are as simple as swapping spots for a pin