TSB 23-2250 - 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator + Other Models - 10R80 Auto Trans + Others - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Harsh/Delayed Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting.

Is it a physical design flaw or is it a programming design flaw?

You would think that the transmission should be nearly identical to the GM 10L80. GM's 10L80 seems to not have nearly as many rough shift issues.

However, could making a programming change to the transmission mid model year result in different fuel economy numbers? Would Ford get penalized for making a modification that could potential cause the vehicle not to achieve it's EPA ratings?
CDF drums made before 2023 have physical design flaw

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting.

Is it a physical design flaw or is it a programming design flaw?

You would think that the transmission should be nearly identical to the GM 10L80. GM's 10L80 seems to not have nearly as many rough shift issues.

However, could making a programming change to the transmission mid model year result in different fuel economy numbers? Would Ford get penalized for making a modification that could potential cause the vehicle not to achieve it's EPA ratings?
I have a friend with a '20 GMC Denali that exhibits very similar behavior to my '20 Expedition. His dealer has driven it and tells him they are told it is normal behavior and bring it in when it stops moving and they'll give him a new transmission if it's in warranty and sell him a new one if it's out of warranty.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend with a '20 GMC Denali that exhibits very similar behavior to my '20 Expedition. His dealer has driven it and tells him they are told it is normal behavior and bring it in when it stops moving and they'll give him a new transmission if it's in warranty and sell him a new one if it's out of warranty.

Dealers make more money on parts and labor sales for customer-pay work, when compared to warranty work for the identical repair. That is why some try to put-off the work until the warranty expires.