Ultimate Transmission frustration update - ISO opinion, on my 3rd transmission...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2018 4x4 model update.

At 103,500, my transmission was slipping and then started spiking to 250 degrees.

I brought it in, the shop tried a new thermostat, that didn't work. They found metal in the fluid and diagnosed that it needed a new transmission.

Auto warranty company agreed and shipped a transmission with 63k miles on it.

The replacement transmission didn't operate correctly, again they were finding metal in the fluid, so the replacement part was diagnosed as bad (also with a 2nd thermostat).

A "new" refurbished transmission was ordered, installed with a 3rd thermostat. They flushed fluids, burped air bubbles, etc.

One day in to the 3rd transmission, my transmission temperature was spiking to 250 degrees again, fans blowing non-stop. Back in to the shop.

PLEASE, has anyone experienced this. ANY thoughts as to what can be going on here that they are not identifying?

Thanks in advance.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New convertor? Lines partially blocked? If the new one is a new crate or at least rebuilt one, it seems a part on the truck is the common denominator.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a supplying cooling hose for the tranny is bad? imagine that, 3 transmissions later and it was just a cooling line. I doubt they tested these

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 4x4 model update.

At 103,500, my transmission was slipping and then started spiking to 250 degrees.

I brought it in, the shop tried a new thermostat, that didn't work. They found metal in the fluid and diagnosed that it needed a new transmission.

Auto warranty company agreed and shipped a transmission with 63k miles on it.

The replacement transmission didn't operate correctly, again they were finding metal in the fluid, so the replacement part was diagnosed as bad (also with a 2nd thermostat).

A "new" refurbished transmission was ordered, installed with a 3rd thermostat. They flushed fluids, burped air bubbles, etc.

One day in to the 3rd transmission, my transmission temperature was spiking to 250 degrees again, fans blowing non-stop. Back in to the shop.

PLEASE, has anyone experienced this. ANY thoughts as to what can be going on here that they are not identifying?

Thanks in advance.
Question:
- what is the brand of the rebuilt transmission?
- how is the engine temperature? If the cooling fans are running high, then I guess the engine is at high temperature too.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Maybe a supplying cooling hose for the tranny is bad? imagine that, 3 transmissions later and it was just a cooling line. I doubt they tested these
Just checked in with shop. Hoses are fine but a transmission fluid heater/cooling valve was bad - between the transmission and engine block. It was shorting in and out. Dropped to 11 ohms at one point (going bad). This is my bad recap of what he just told me on the phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
1. Transmission fluid heater/cooling valve was bad - between the transmission and engine block. It was shorting in and out. Dropped to 11 ohms at one point (going bad). 2. Separately, ignition coils (1 has a short and is misfiring) are also going bad - trying to replace all 6 of those too. Check engine light came on (separate diagnostic). Fault followed the coil when they swapped it out and did a resistance test.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Transmission fluid heater/cooling valve was bad - between the transmission and engine block. It was shorting in and out. Dropped to 11 ohms at one point (going bad). 2. Separately, ignition coils (1 has a short and is misfiring) are also going bad - trying to replace all 6 of those too. Check engine light came on (separate diagnostic). Fault followed the coil when they swapped it out and did a resistance test.
Good that you found the problem!

Regarding the misfire, coil failure is not very common on these. But generally spark plugs would need replacement well before 100k miles. Start by replacing the plugs or at least make sure to put new plugs with the new coils.

Benztech

Reaction score
There is a software update which helps with trans operation and high temps. We had it done when our temps would spike over 250 and the trans would dump fluid. Didn't believe it would work but it did. Still had to replace the CDF drum later due to bad shifting though.

TravisExpy

Reaction score
I’ve been down this road with my 2019. A brand new transmission was put in last year at 43k miles (temps were getting to 280). That was done when the first owner traded it in. We bought in Nov last year (it had a brand new transmission so it should be good to go, right? Wrong). Transmission temp was was 240 regularly and towing anything would overheat it. They replaced it with a rebuilt but that didn’t fix it. Was rebuilt by the shop with some new upgraded parts, didn’t fix it. Finally replaced again in May with a brand new transmission and it seems to be okay now. All work was done by Ford and they’ve done every TSB. Our friend that manages a Ford dealership said many of these won’t be fixed without putting a brand new (not rebuilt) transmission in them. Now we’re dealing with a crack and leak at the oil pressure sensor and bad cam phasers and it only has 55k miles on it.
I would push hard for them to replace it with a brand new one.