Transmission service/flush by Ford at 120,000 miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking in all I repeated this process about 8-10 times. Took me a little bit, but the he work definitely paid off. No wasted money at the dealership. No bad side effects from dealership screw-up!!!

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Dealer quoted $685 CDN for a transmission fluid change.

OP
OP
S

stilbo

Reaction score
Just received seven quarts of LV, filter, gasket (I know that Ford says that it’s reusable but..) and a Dorman pan with drain from Summit Racing…
With a drain plug I’ll be able to easily drain again and add more LV to further dilute the old fluid that was in the torque converter.

I field engineered for a company that built and sold hydraulic equipment all over the planet. We NEVER designed a hydraulic system that wasn’t capable of being drained and replenished with less than 98% of new fluid. I get the feeling that Ford and GM co-designed these transmissions with the thought that it’s no big deal if they don’t last past 150,000 - 200,000 miles.

The 2018-2019 transmissions appear to be designed to last even less as I’ve read about many failures in this forum and elsewhere. Even TSB’s related to those transmissions have increased five fold over the the 6R80.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd get 10 quarts of fluid to be on the safe side. I replaced my transmission bulkhead connector sleeve and filter on my 2010 and it took almost 10 quarts to refill it to the correct level. I initially started with 7 quarts and thought it was full after checking from just idling up to temp and shifting through the gears. After I drove it a bit, it had a hard 3 to 4 shift and I knew something was up. So I checked it after driving it and wasn't showing on the dipstick. So I grabbed a few more quarts and it took 2.5 more quarts. A lot of fluid did come out of the pan when I dropped it though. It filled the drain pan and of course had a mess of fluid all over the floor. It shifts great now like it has always with about 10k miles on it since I did it. Also DO THE SLEEVE while you're in their. I'm not going to lie, it was a ***** but with patience and a 100 deep breaths I got it done.