Transmission service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Many of us from other threads who tow and tow long distances do all the drivetrain fluids (4WD) every 60K.

Yes. A bit pricey but cheap insurance when you’re towing your buddy’s boat up a ramp 1200 miles from home.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I watched many Youtube videos from Aaron Hines, Fordtechmako and I decided to let Ford dealer handle it. They charge $530 to drop the pan and replace the filter. I got the service like couple days ago at 98k miles.

Last edited:

Supersonic

Reaction score
Do me a favor if you can, if you get it done, can you check the dimensions of the two pans side by side? specifically the depth, I'm curious if the PPE standard volume pan is the same depth as the OEM plastic pan. I don't have much clearance between the existing pan and my skid plates. last time i checked ppe didn't give those dimensions. I definitely can't fit the extra volume pan.
Hi,
I religiously change all fluids; not just by the mileage, but by the time in use. (I use aviation standards) I replace Transmission fluid every 30K miles. (10K on differential and both ends 4x4) For the front end, a vacuum bucket is necessary to suck out the old oil - there is no drain plug...
Rock Auto has a transmission pan with a drain plug for FORD EXP... Changing the transmission fluid and filter with the factory pan is a messy job. The front clearances are very small. (make sure your transmission fluid shower is not HOT one) You will need a good flex shaft for you socket. Once you install a pan with the drain plug, job is easy. I would never allow any shop to purge my transmission. When you drain the pan, some of the old fluid remains inside the transmission. No problem, I drive a few hundred miles, then I drain the pan and refill. Just be very careful not to burn you hands when you are checking hot fluid level. That nasty hot exhaust is too close for comfort to the Transmission DIP STICK... Have FUN!