Yep, new/rebuilt tranny at 40K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: They told me today they replaced something, and will road test tomorrow. We shall see. The customer manager told me there is a low percentage of success within the three-four levels of fixing and testing. Short of a full rebuild. I didn't get a straight answer today on what they fixed at what stage/level. So I guess we'll see what happens.
My guess is they replaced the valve body. Unlikey that’s gonna fix it. Even my CDF replacement “rebuild” only lasted 10k miles before it acted up again. I told the SA I want a factory new or factory reman transmission, not one rebuilt at the dealer. She agreed and is going to fight for it.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just don't understand. there are class action lawsuits for dumb stuff every day, but how come we don't see more for these things. mine is at the dealer, now going on 10 days, and hasn't even been looked at yet, for tranny issues. The number of issues we see, the number of repeat fixes and repairs, heck the dealer said their tranny tech is running 2-3 weeks behind on projects so it's clear these things aren't working. how many millions of lost hours are we all putting forward on these things, and yet they keep going up 3-5% / yr. I'm not lucky enough to have 4 cars, so having our primary family vehicle in the shop for 3-5 weeks isn't acceptable.

it would be one thing if there were tons of choices, but for class of vehicle like this, there really are only two choices and they both appear to be having record quality control issues (and yeah, both american made). Having said that, even the Toyota's of the world are experiencing massive issues as well.

But the two biggest ones we see impacting folks every day on here, tranny and phasers. these are very well-known issues that so far seem to only have temporary fixes, high numbers of re-repairs. and sure, we all know people mostly only come to forums like this to talk about problems so we could say there's a lot of happy people out there, but along those same lines I would be the majority of drivers out there have no idea they may have issues (and worse don't pay any attention) unless the car tells them so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jskane125

Reaction score
Last update. They did a full rebuild of the transmission. Interesting to follow. They had to go through three sets of activities first. Each step was a "fix" of sorts. And the tech, whom I met, documented results for each test. The main control valves were sticking, with valves stuck in their bore and not moving during gravity test. Ended up a transmission overhaul per TSB 24-2101. They rebuilt it, had three road tests, which also served to support the transmission adaptive learning. Seems to have been very thorough. I did't ask, but I believe the new parts address part of the problem in the original parts.

Anyway, I drove about 50 miles, and the difference is fairly obvious. Smoother shifting, no clunks when shifting to drive or while driving. This was all covered at no cost as part of the original drive train warranty.

So I'll be driving the RV about 300 miles each way for a trip this weekend (though I intend to drive a bit more before that). Hopefully, all will be well.

Good luck to those of you struggling with poor transmissions. I'm pleased with how my dealer handled it all. I hope you have the same luck.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last update. They did a full rebuild of the transmission. Interesting to follow. They had to go through three sets of activities first. Each step was a "fix" of sorts. And the tech, whom I met, documented results for each test. The main control valves were sticking, with valves stuck in their bore and not moving during gravity test. Ended up a transmission overhaul per TSB 24-2101. They rebuilt it, had three road tests, which also served to support the transmission adaptive learning. Seems to have been very thorough. I did't ask, but I believe the new parts address part of the problem in the original parts.

Anyway, I drove about 50 miles, and the difference is fairly obvious. Smoother shifting, no clunks when shifting to drive or while driving. This was all covered at no cost as part of the original drive train warranty.

So I'll be driving the RV about 300 miles each way for a trip this weekend (though I intend to drive a bit more before that). Hopefully, all will be well.

Good luck to those of you struggling with poor transmissions. I'm pleased with how my dealer handled it all. I hope you have the same luck.
Did they do all of the tests during one visit? One issue I've had in the past is the usual we'll try this fix, then you drive it for a week till it happens again and then bring it back, which wastes massive amounts of time and is extremely intrusive.

I'm still blown away with the issues we see with these tranny's below 60kmiles.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they do all of the tests during one visit? One issue I've had in the past is the usual we'll try this fix, then you drive it for a week till it happens again and then bring it back, which wastes massive amounts of time and is extremely intrusive.

I'm still blown away with the issues we see with these tranny's below 60kmiles.
Agreed. the lag time in between repairs PLUS the fact that my dealer is 6-8 weeks booked out between appointments make this crazy.

bocabimmer

Reaction score
I must’ve found the right dealership then… took in yesterday, they diagnosed the CDF within hours and got Ford to approve the repair under my ESP. They have the parts but a week’s backlog for the technician. They’re giving me back the truck to use and will call me when they’re ready for me again.

Considering all the horror stories I hear on here, this has been the 100% opposite of what I was expecting.

MHEXP

Reaction score
2020 - rebuild at 41K . Started with hard shifts. Then while driving if needing to speed up it would drop to 1st and rev high and not respond then sam into 3 or 4th gear and give power back. Started doing this and first step was a refresh. Been good for most times. Found Sport mode works to skip most issues. Until 51K on freeway the other day and it started to slow for no reason, looked and saw trans temp had redlined and then dropped to first... could not go more than 20miles an hour. Sketchy on the freeway. Got off and let cool down. Restarted and limped home for 50 miles. Going in Monday for rebuild number two or full replacement. Will see what happens

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020 - rebuild at 41K . Started with hard shifts. Then while driving if needing to speed up it would drop to 1st and rev high and not respond then sam into 3 or 4th gear and give power back. Started doing this and first step was a refresh. Been good for most times. Found Sport mode works to skip most issues. Until 51K on freeway the other day and it started to slow for no reason, looked and saw trans temp had redlined and then dropped to first... could not go more than 20miles an hour. Sketchy on the freeway. Got off and let cool down. Restarted and limped home for 50 miles. Going in Monday for rebuild number two or full replacement. Will see what happens

I’d bet Ford will not approve a full replacement - but will require a rebuild by the dealer.

Let us know what happens.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must’ve found the right dealership then… took in yesterday, they diagnosed the CDF within hours and got Ford to approve the repair under my ESP. They have the parts but a week’s backlog for the technician. They’re giving me back the truck to use and will call me when they’re ready for me again.

Considering all the horror stories I hear on here, this has been the 100% opposite of what I was expecting.
Thats awesome that they are going to let u drive it until they are ready for it and they diagnosed the cdf drum quickly. Sounds like a good service dept. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGExpedition