Unwise to buy a 2017 Exp XLT with 140K?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenRoomSon

Reaction score
I have an oppurtunity for a private sale 2017 XLT EL 4WD with HD tow with 140K mixed highway suburban miles with no towing. Has had all the correct maintnance done with religious 5K oil changes. I was psyched about it but now I am reading all these posts about the 3.5L and the Cam Phasers.

On the 1st gen 3.5l which I beleive is in the 2017 is this issue inevitable?

Thanks in advance for any input

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The phaser issue is a Gen 2 problem (MY 2018+). The Gen 1 Ecoboost has the timing chain stretch. The chain is very long, so as it wears it elongates and the tensioner can't take up the slack. For the Gen 2 Ford switched to two chains. I have the chain issue, but it didn't start showing up until around 140k and I still haven't gotten it fixed yet. Other issues that crop up are warped manifolds (if towing). I'm currently experiencing a fuel pump failure at 162,000 miles.

If the price is right, buy it and set 5K aside for repairs. I just did a 2,000 mile trip to Denver, came back, drove it once and now it won't start. I'm not going to complain because it made it back from Denver before it decided to quit. Overall it's been a mixed ownership experience, but the vehicle is supremely capable when running properly and most of the issues I've had are known problems.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I strongly suggest taking a look at each turbo coolant line. You'll need to be under it on the drivers side and passenger side. Common point of failure is where the metal tube goes into the turbo. Mine has such a slow leak that I haven't bothered to fix it. Matter of fact-it has been a couple of months since I last had to add coolant. It is however a very costly repair (more than $1K in labor) I do believe.

stilbo

Reaction score
2017-2019 transmissions are highly suspect.
Just looking at the number of postings regarding 2017 and up transmission problems has been enough for me to wait for 2021 Expy prices to come down.
Research these forum posts more.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017-2019 transmissions are highly suspect.
Just looking at the number of postings regarding 2017 and up transmission problems has been enough for me to wait for 2021 Expy prices to come down.
Research these forum posts more.
The 2017 is the six speed which is reliable by all accounts. I think you're referring to the 2018+ Expedition, which had the iffy 10 speed.

2WheelWillie

Reaction score
Hello GreenRoomSon,
Last Nov. 2023 I purchased a 17 XLT with 164K. I purchased from a used car dealer and I did buy the offered extended warranty (24K miles/24 months). I did a fair amount of research on the 3.5 Eco, have been a lurker for a long time. Coming from an 09 F150 SuperCrew with 5.4 and same 6 spd transmission. I'm not sure about any particular issues with the 6spd transmission beyond early versions which had some PCM/transmission module programming causing erratic shifting in certain scenarios. I had zero issues with my 6spd transmission on my 2 F150 2001 and 2009.

In addition to the Cam Phaser issue, which Ford redesigned, there is a vacuum pump bolted on the rear of the right side head (drive by the cam). The vacuum pump is known to leak oil and eventually produce insufficient vacuum causing various error codes and performance issues. The exhaust manifold issue is similar to the 5.4 manifold issues however on the 3.5 for neglected to use several available bold holes. DB Diesel offers upgraded replacement manifold (as well as Turbos) for the 3.5.

My 2017 Expy XLT did have a bad main (larger) turbo, and exhaust manifold which made a high pitched screeching sound under heavy acceleration. I thought the noise was coming from the passenger side (small) turbo. After having my local Ford dealership, litterally around the block from my house, perform a "Works" package (oil change and a several dozen point "inspection" they informed me the screeching was from the manifold, and a failing water pump. They also cited the vacuum pump as the source of an oil leak/drip. I took it to a reputable local independent shop and they determined: Large turbo was bad, passenger side manifold was leaking, and the vacuum pump oil leak/drip was from the timing cover, possibly caused by the used dealer when they replaced the water pump.

While the timing cover was off to address the oil leak, I had them check the timing chain and cam phasers, they replaced all and ensured the cam phasers were the new design. They also installed the DB Diesel manifolds (both sides) and the large turbo. The mechanic said the cam phaser adjuster was extended to the max and only a mater of time until the ECU/PCM started to throw timing codes due to the chain being stretched.

Thank fully the Warranty cover the Large Turbo and the labor for the timing cover, so that softened the blow. Just some things to consider. I am playing the long game on this Expy and didn't want to wait for the timing errors which would have provided the warranty coverage for the chain. My luck is that issue would have started 1 day after the warranty expired. Murphy's Law seems to by my shadow, always lurking around.

Cam Phasers, Timing chains (at higher mileage) and Manifolds are the real mechanical issues to be aware of. I expect to run this truck to 300K.... Hoping anyway.

Best of luck.