WDH set up discrepancies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccssid

Reaction score
2021 limited with HD tow package. 4000# trailer including payload. I am using a Husky Centerline WDH. Their instructions call for the weight to be distributed such that the tow vehicle settles evenly at front and rear fender (parallel to stock ride except lower as per weight of trailer) when the weight distributing bars are installed and that the trailer be level as well.

The expedition manual states if the front raises by x" without the bars and the trailer hooked up, than it should raise by x/2" after installing the weight distributing bars. and that the trailer be level or a bit nose down. The manual does not mention/consider the height of rear fender well.

In the past I have followed Husky's manual when towing the same trailer with a 2018 explorer platinum, Trailer towed like a charm.

I do intend to follow the Husky manual for the trailer hook up to the expedition.

What is everyone's thoughts on this. TIA

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Centerline 32218. I've towed between Houston and both coasts with it. No complaints about its performance. You should defer to the vehicle manual, as the WDH setup can vary based on tow vehicle. For example a 1-ton isn't going to drop much, if at all, with a camper that size.

(1) Make sure you know your tongue weight. You need 10% to 15% of the wet (loaded) trailer weight on the hitch ball for stability.
(2) Measure the front fender height without the trailer.
(3) Measure the front fender height with the trailer hooked up, but no WDH.
(4) Hook up the WDH and make sure the front fender height change is 1/2 of what it was before the WDH was hooked up. So if it rose by 1.5 inches before the WDH was hooked up, it should rise by .75 inches after the WDH is hooked up. This is the 50% front axle weight restoration the manual references.
(5) If Possible, visit a scale and make sure your tongue and axle loads are correct.

Load E tires make towing more stable, but my camper is 7K vs your 4K, so you may not see a need for them. Safe travels.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tips in this blog post may help you as well. These guys are North America’s towing experts. Ford once sent engineers to their shop to see how they were reinforcing hitches, which is why Ford now has the best hitch receivers anywhere.

OP
OP
C

ccssid

Reaction score
The tips in this blog post may help you as well. These guys are North America’s towing experts. Ford once sent engineers to their shop to see how they were reinforcing hitches, which is why Ford now has the best hitch receivers anywhere.

this article is how the Husky manual states to do it. In the past, I had my explorer set up with this method (the front dropped slightly less than the rear) and I towed thousands of miles without any issues. Why then does ford state in their manual that the front should raise (50%) if they sent their engineers to these guys for an education ???....just saying.

OP
OP
C

ccssid

Reaction score
At 4,000 lbs do you even need a WDH?
With my explorer I started with the hitch from the RV dealer, so I never ran without it. On the expedition, maybe not required....but I will use it since I have it. Not requiring as much tension on the bars as the explorer. BTW: the dealer was clueless when they installed the hitch.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At 4,000 lbs do you even need a WDH?
Depends. WDH requirement varies based on tongue weight, not total trailer weight. So trailer type and where belongings are placed in the trailer matters. Also, WDH frequently incorporate anti sway, so it may be desirable even if not required.