What is behind this panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCEXP

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if my 2011 XLT has a stock subwoofer installed. If it is there, it is not working. What is behind the passenger side rear panel? there is a "vent" in the very rear and front of the panel. Haven't tried to pull it off to look inside, but it lookes like there is some sort of black enclosure inside. Popped off the top cubby storage piece and tried to look down inside last night, but can't really see in there. I know on previous years the amp and subwoofer enclosure is in there, but not sure if that is what I am looking at...

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the 07-present Expy's the subwoofer is on the drivers side. The passenger side houses the rear air stuff. Sorry :bawl:

Matt

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That explains alot because I was wondering about puting an aftermarket sub in my truck whenn I upgrade my stock speakers since their is absolutely np room for a box and won't sacrifice my 3rd row seating for one, but was told their is one and it its made for the right side only now i'll look further into it now that I know it's not, thanks for the info RI-MATT.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can still have one behind the 3rd row....i do...i have 2 12's behind there with it up...

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya I can do that but I perfer it hidden plus I like haveing the tiny space behind my 3rd row seating for groceries, so that rout wont happen for me.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check out my photo album...i have a down firing box and it allows me to put stuff (groceries/shopping bags) on it with the seat up...and if im buying a lot of groceries then i lay the seat down anyways...box stays and if needed...i put the eggs/bread/or whatever on it...

OP
OP
U

USMCEXP

Reaction score
I took a closer look at it last night...yeah, it is the heater stuff behind there on the passenger side. There are even some metal hoses that get very hot (so I am guessing thre is a heater core back there also. So now I am going to rethink my amp and subwoofer install ideas. Maybe put the amp behind the driver side panel in the back. Just wondering about a stealth idea for maybe one 10" or 12" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure...

mark620

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and it has a 8inch factory sub in the panel on the drivers side rear. The 2011 is the same, do you have sync and rear dvd? if so you have the same set up.You will see the grill in that panel, its square. There is room for a 10inch small inclosure of about a 1 cubic foot or less. I took out the factory sub and made a mold from fiberglass. The enclosure was about 1 cubic foot and I only need .45 for a high power 8inch so I had enough room for my amps too. I used alpine pdx for ther size. 600 watts to the sub and 150 x 4 to the front and rears. I went with the 8 because I did not feel like cutting a new grill into that panel. I used the rockford 360.2 interface so my factory head unit with all the sync and rear dvd all work the same as before. The factory system sucked so I could not help but upgrade it, but I wanted to keep the head unit the same. If you have the EL JL audio makes a box that will fit behind the panel. It has a 10 in it , but no room for the amps. There is not much room under any of the seats because they fold flat when you put them down. I looked under the 2nd row and that was the case. No chance on the third row either. It can be done....Pop the tray and cup holder out of that panel and you will see the sub, or if you don't have one there will be a whole lot of room there. Good luck..

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USMCEXP

Reaction score
Mine has the sync, no DVD, and no Sub. There is absolutly no room on the passenger side. A little room in the driverside. I picked up a used bandpass box that had blown speakers in it for $15 last night. I have two 10 Rockford Fosgates that I put in it. It fits behind the third row between the seat and the lift gate if I stand it up on its side, but the edge of the box comes up to just below the rear window. Not exactly what I was going for (wanted something stealth. But for $15, I will see how it sounds and maybe build my own shallow downfiring box down the road. Now have to decide if I want to tackle wiring the amp myself or pay to have it done. I have done many on my own in the past, but am leary of pulling the factory sync head unit and tying into the wires myself. Got a few quotes on having the amp I already own installed for around $100. Thinking about hiding the amp inside the rear drivers side panel.

mark620

Reaction score
Save the sync head and go with a rockford 360.2 interface or jl makes one too. You take the speaker wire and put it into the interface and it gives you front, rear, sub center plus on the rockford crossovers, 31 band eq's and a bunch of other features. Bass and master volume nobb too. For around $200 you can;t go wrong and you keep all the stock features of your sync system. Whats behind the panel if there is no sub? I wonder if they put the factory amp there, I thing mine is under the front seat.