what's the best tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only got 35k out of the Michelin LTX's... which in my mind is completely unacceptable. My wife is the primary driver and she is far less aggressive than I am. I do tow a trailer house with the Expedition but not enough to wear out the tires that fast. I was buying Michelin's for my Ford Fusion too, but they also wore out sooner than they should have too. Both vehicles had alignments done before I put on the Michelins. I don't know if they changed the formula on their tires or I just got a bad batch. I also did my homework on them. On paper they were perfect. In snow/ice they were great. But wore out way too fast. I also had set of Hankooks. They seemed to be alright, I wish I had them in a higher ply than I did, they were sloppy with the trailer. I'll see how these Coopers do. Just my two cents. :)

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love the Cooper Discoverer AT/3! I've had Michelin LTX, but they were just ok in snow and terrible in sand/mud. I've also had the Bridgestone AT tire. These Coopers are the best yet. Awesome in the rain/snow. They are quiet on the road, I can't wait to try them in the mud. The tire pattern looks great. My uncle runs these on both his super duty and ranger and he loves them too. I'm also running the 265/75/18 on F150 FX4 rims. Mine are 10 ply. It does ride a little harder, but pulling the camp trailer is great!View attachment 18468

These are my choice Have had them on the superduty for almost 2 years now about 22k they still look new very happy with them Snow, dirt and road, can't speak for mud i try to avoid it makes my truck dirty, I cam from bfg and nittos I'm happy they are both gone

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before my lift I had the Toyo open country A/T I put about 60k on them in three years besides a lot of highway driving went off road mud/snow etc they were great tough tire in fact I was able to give them to a friend when I went to 35s and he still has them on his truck after about another 15k.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coopers are a decent & affordable generalist brand. Dunno if I'd expect TOO much in highly specific categories like towing or offroad....or just even on anything with a V8... not cuz they're bad, but because afaik these guys are famous for making inexpensive all weather tires that you buy for your lil sedan on perpetual sale at Walmart.

If you want something for specific needs, maybe go Pirelli? Most performance-spec Pirelli products seem great at whatever they promise... just don't expect much in categories they promise nothing in.... OR expect to eat right thru em if they're great at everything else

Also, FIRESTONE (yeah hahaha) are surprisingly good, since they're rebadged expensive Bridgestone models from other markets. They sell em to promote their (Bridgestone-owned) service chain brand, to build reputation not to make money off them

Those are especially popular with the biggest torqueiest engines crowds, as they're the only inexpensive brand to survive any appreciable time on vehicles/motors that easily smoke tires... quiet civilized and grippy too....dunno about offroad, never had em on any vehicle with enough clearance to even jump a curb though

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had 2 sets of Michelin LTX's on my '97, the latter being the LTX MS2s.
FYI that the LTX MS2s have been replaced by the Defenders; supposed to have a 70K mileage life.
I used the Tirerack comparison guide to read reported mileage owner comments etc.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the Hankook Dynapros. Got a set about six months ago and I've been very pleased. I live in Texas, so can't speak to the snow, but comfortable ride without a lot of road noise. Great tire for the price

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks like my 08 is going to need new tires soon. I want something that looks great (little bit rugged) but also performs well in snow/ice, mud, etc and lasts awhile with quite a bit of highway driving. will be bumping up the size to 265/75r18s too

So, now that you got a myriad of opinions and recomendations that don't point to any specific single clear cut tire; what tires you choosing?