Wondering Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I might just be going mad. Looking for ideas when I speak to the mechanic next week. Just finished several long trips and find that my arms are exhausted from fighting the steering wheel.

It feels like I need to put slight input to counter drift and after a few seconds the steering goes light and the input I put into the steering causes the vehicle to move in the lane. I have to do this back and forth constantly at all speeds. Almost as if I'm fighting ruts in the road. There is also a monetary vibration in the steering wheel just past centre (no sound though). Almost like their is a flat spot in the U-joint.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

vurt777

Reaction score
Having this same isssue, you explained it better than I could have. Did you get to your mechanic, any resolution? I returned from a long trip, noticed what you’re describing, took it in last week and had suspension aligned, now it feels even more pronounced. I can’t even tell if the cars aligned or not - sometimes I feel like it is and sometimes not. But you’re right, my arms are tied even in the city now and I have to keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times…exhausting, lol.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe there is a recall or bulletin for this.
Equipment Recall
Only affects vehicles that had EPAS repairs and only 18-21 models; total number affected across all models was 7,400 (very small amount). OP has a new 22+ model based on pic.

ib_jigged

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have and are you using the lane assist feature? I think this can be an issue from time to time. I notice that in our Expedition, it prefers to ride closer to the center line with lane assist than our F150 does. It can feel like I am fighting to keep it in the lane where I think it should be, but if I let it drift over towards the center line more, I am not fighting against it as much.

VCFP153

Reaction score
Do you have and are you using the lane assist feature? I think this can be an issue from time to time. I notice that in our Expedition, it prefers to ride closer to the center line with lane assist than our F150 does. It can feel like I am fighting to keep it in the lane where I think it should be, but if I let it drift over towards the center line more, I am not fighting against it as much.
Indeed. That is why I don't use that feature, it's more annoying than a mosquito on meth.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I notice that in our Expedition, it prefers to ride closer to the center line with lane assist than our F150 does. It can feel like I am fighting to keep it in the lane where I think it should be, but if I let it drift over towards the center line more, I am not fighting against it as much.
Sometimes when I'm on hands-free BlueCruise it feels to me like the car is too close to one side of the lane or the other, but when I look in the mirrors I'm always surprised that the truck is in fact in the center of the lane.