Cold Start Rattle (Again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhExped

Reaction score
My '18 Limited had the cam phasers replaced awhile back. Symptom at the time was the oft-reported "cold start rattle". After repairs, the rattle went away.

Sometime between then and now, the "cold start rattle" returned. However, from the various threads on this forum and according to the dealer, the cam phaser rattle is short in duration (3-5 seconds), whereas the rattle I'm hearing now is more in the 30-60 second range and it slowly diminishes as the car warms up. So, I assumed this new rattle was the turbo wastegate rattle.

However, after inspection, dealer returned the car stating "no abnormal noises heard...compared to similar model as well side by side, injectors will make noise for 30-45 seconds on initial cold start up." (This, despite the service rep telling me over the phone my car's rattle was louder and more distinct than the other car...And, btw, I don't know for certain if the other car was brand new or some other car in for repair, but I suspect the latter given the fact there hasn't been a new Expedition on the dealer's lot for some time now...So, maybe comparing against some other random Expy isn't a good test).

I don't recall ANY sort of cold start rattle when the car was new. Can anyone comment on your experience in this regard with your Expy? Do all Expy's have a "cold start rattle" by design? How is one to discern between cam phaser rattle, turbo wastegate rattle, and "normal" injector rattle if so?

Soliciting feedback form the forum prior to circling back to the dealer to discuss further. Thanks in advance for any insight.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '18 Limited had the cam phasers replaced awhile back. Symptom at the time was the oft-reported "cold start rattle". After repairs, the rattle went away.

Sometime between then and now, the "cold start rattle" returned. However, from the various threads on this forum and according to the dealer, the cam phaser rattle is short in duration (3-5 seconds), whereas the rattle I'm hearing now is more in the 30-60 second range and it slowly diminishes as the car warms up. So, I assumed this new rattle was the turbo wastegate rattle.

However, after inspection, dealer returned the car stating "no abnormal noises heard...compared to similar model as well side by side, injectors will make noise for 30-45 seconds on initial cold start up." (This, despite the service rep telling me over the phone my car's rattle was louder and more distinct than the other car...And, btw, I don't know for certain if the other car was brand new or some other car in for repair, but I suspect the latter given the fact there hasn't been a new Expedition on the dealer's lot for some time now...So, maybe comparing against some other random Expy isn't a good test).

I don't recall ANY sort of cold start rattle when the car was new. Can anyone comment on your experience in this regard with your Expy? Do all Expy's have a "cold start rattle" by design? How is one to discern between cam phaser rattle, turbo wastegate rattle, and "normal" injector rattle if so?

Soliciting feedback form the forum prior to circling back to the dealer to discuss further. Thanks in advance for any insight.
My turbo wastegate rattle kinda developed over time. That is "normal" for that noise. Unless I am misremembering, I have never heard anyone (dealer, on here, etc) say that the injectors in these vehicles rattle; my F150 had ticking injectors, but I don't recall hearing anyone complain about that with the Expi.

I think the noise you're hearing is the turbo wastegate as the symptoms seem right: soft rattle, 60ish seconds, diminishes as the engine warms up, etc. Plus, most dealers I have talked to about my wastegate rattle will say it's normal for these engines so they will report "nothing wrong, no abnormal noise" just as yours did.

As annoying as it is, the wastegate rattle is pretty universal on a lot of EcoBoost engines. And Ford hasn't, to my knowledge, shown a willingness to do anything about it. Some folks have had some success getting the turbos replaced, but those cases have been the exception, not the rule. And I would be interested to know if replacement fixed the issue for good, my suspicion is that it would not. In any case, most folks agree it's a frustrating noise, but is not going to harm the engine (yes, I know some people disagree).

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticking injectors?? Hmm, I guess that's what I'm hearing. Kind of like the old Mopar tick or low oil tick from years ago. Aggie, was this something that you had fixed or should be fixed?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticking injectors?? Hmm, I guess that's what I'm hearing. Kind of like the old Mopar tick or low oil tick from years ago. Aggie, was this something that you had fixed or should be fixed?
The ticking injectors were on my 2012 F150 with the 5.0 Coyote. 2 of the 8 cylinders were shot and I got a whole new short block under warranty.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 had valvetrain clatter when starting, until I put a can of STP in the oil. Keeps that super thin oil from draining off the cams etc.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might try this to eliminate the start up rattle. It works on my 03 after sitting for a week or so.

Hold the throttle all the way to the floor for about 3 to 5 seconds while cranking the motor. While still cranking, release the throttle. It won't start until you release the throttle. That gives it some time to build up a little oil pressure before the engine fires up and should eliminate the rattle if it hasn't gotten too bad yet.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 had valvetrain clatter when starting, until I put a can of STP in the oil. Keeps that super thin oil from draining off the cams etc.
I'm wondering if a heavier viscosity oil would do the same thing. Ah, but you are in Idaho. Might not be good for a colder climate.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a rattle 5-30 secs and have had the dealer look at it several times when I have had it in for other things. It is more pronounced and longer in the winter and sitting all night. Dealer has said twice it is within specs. During warm weather or after it warms up it disappears. I suspect waste gate. I will send it it again next winter.