Cold Start Rattle (Again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that sounds far more like VVT/phaser issues. particularly when you say its worse in the cold, that's when the lubricant is thickest and takes longer to lubricate those parts. My wastegate rattles were slightly worse at cold start up but would happen at just about any temperature. There is a particular RPM range that causes them the most as the engine/exhaust harmonics rattle the linkage. This RPM level lasts the longest when the engine is at a cold start but when my dealer was working to get my turbos replaced, I could drive 30min to the dealer, shut it off in their drive, start it up 5 minutes later and you could hear the turbo rattle. I could actually get it to happen more often if I just slightly elevated the idle. The wastegate rattle is far easier to demonstrate and prove then the VVT/Phaser noises (at least it was for me).