Headliner Removal Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaylock

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have 2007 Expy that has a rattle coming from the headliner just behind the driver's seat. I can push up on the headliner to make it stop so I'm assuming a piece of foam in between the parts that are touching each other would fix it. I had the problem shortly after I bought it new and the dealer fixed it under warranty but it's back. I'm contemplating doing it myself but want to know what's involved before I dive in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

OP
OP
mmaylock

mmaylock

Reaction score
Nobody replied. The rattle is still there. Fortunately it only gets loud when it's near freezing...

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not be a fix for everyone, but you may consider getting some gap-filling aerosol foam with a small applicator, make a small hole in the headliner and fill the gap. The hole will be small enough to mask especially if it is near a seam. Just a thought.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video is on a sunroof repair but in the first part of the video he shows how to remove a headliner. It will be very similar for your 07. Since you aren't removing it completely you can just take off as much as you need to get to the part that is rattling.

sls1980

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I have a broken sunroof so I'll be taking the headliner down and sunroof apart today. If anyone is interested I'll try to post pictures.

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
usually getting the headliner down is the east part, getting it to stay back up is the tough part :p

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are metal braces/supports under the headliner running from one side to the other. Typically secured with expanding foam type of material.

I imagine it came unglued and rattles. I broke mine loose in my trailblazer with the stereo and after removing the headliner last week I silicone caulked the braces and laminated 1/2" birch to the entire ceiling to reinforce it. That part was also mainly for my stereos benefit even with the birch I flex the roof over an inch lol...

My pix I only split the plywood to go around said braces. Silicone type caulking dampens the braces and secures them further than stock from my expirimenting. Was gonna put my headliner back today but after testing realized the roof still flexes quite a bit and I was hoping to fix it before an attempt of putting the headliner back.

I filled most of the gaps with the silicone, I used liquid nails fuze and some other ones that dry harder. Went through maybe a case but I also laminated the ply with it not just securing the braces. If the wires are rattling, wrapping them with an open cell foam would probably work.

A, b and c pillar will likely have to be removed. Check YouTube for vids maybe.

8800.jpeg

8802.jpeg

sls1980

Reaction score
That's intense. Did you notice any improvements to Road noise, and the A/C working better?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are metal braces/supports under the headliner running from one side to the other. Typically secured with expanding foam type of material.

I imagine it came unglued and rattles. I broke mine loose in my trailblazer with the stereo and after removing the headliner last week I silicone caulked the braces and laminated 1/2" birch to the entire ceiling to reinforce it. That part was also mainly for my stereos benefit even with the birch I flex the roof over an inch lol...

My pix I only split the plywood to go around said braces. Silicone type caulking dampens the braces and secures them further than stock from my expirimenting. Was gonna put my headliner back today but after testing realized the roof still flexes quite a bit and I was hoping to fix it before an attempt of putting the headliner back.

I filled most of the gaps with the silicone, I used liquid nails fuze and some other ones that dry harder. Went through maybe a case but I also laminated the ply with it not just securing the braces. If the wires are rattling, wrapping them with an open cell foam would probably work.

A, b and c pillar will likely have to be removed. Check YouTube for vids maybe.

View attachment 20003

View attachment 20004

are u using wood as deadener or are u going to lay deadener down on top of that? I need to do that as well before finishing my 4th order...what sub are those peeping in the pic?