How to replace the headlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theguy

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition FX4, I see that I am not the only one that doesn’t like the halogen lights. I want to replace all the lights to LED. I am having problems figuring out how to do it, specially the headlights. I can access the fog lights no problem, does anyone have a video or good instructions on how to replace the bulbs (i.e removing the grille or bumper if necessary) no way I can reach otherwise.

Also, good recommendations on what bulbs to use. I looked all over the forum and there are recommendations for bulbs but not how to do it.

I am an aircraft electrician and have done multiple Vehicles lights replacement. For some reason I couldn’t figure out this one.

Thank you in advance

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 99 has two lathches under the hood. I pull them up to release them. Two per side. Just over the lights on two tabs.

OP
OP
T

Theguy

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know if I can put the OEM LED assembly that is on the Platinum version. I know they are USD 1,003.00, but are they just plug and play to the existing wires?

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look in the wheel well at front, there is a flap in the lining you can pull back, has a screw retaining it from memory, may have to turn the wheel in to see it. Once undone you can reach up to access the rear of the assembly to gain access

General consensus is the Platinums require more than just the the headlamp assembly, additional controllers and cabling are needed.

OP
OP
T

Theguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I see that there are many complaints about Expedition lights. I went ahead and ordered LEDs to replace HI/LO/Fog/puddle/brake/tail/reverse/license plate. I will let you guys know what I thinks afterwards.