How to setup HomeLink with LiftMaster garage door opener?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a brand new 2024 Ford Expedition Platinum, and a very old LiftMaster garage door opener with a red learn button. We never had any issues programming in remotes on our vehicles (2006 Honda Pilot or 2005 Lexus LS430), but today my dad and I tried to program the garage door opener into the HomeLink in the Ford, but it won't open and close the garage door. Reset HomeLink several times and made it relearn the remote, the signal seems to be picked up because it went from a slow flash to a quick flash. However, the garage door opener doesn't seem to be learning it, and it wouldn't even register the signal from the HomeLink either (the light on the opener flashes when we make it learn other remotes). Anyone have a clue how to get it working?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a brand new 2024 Ford Expedition Platinum, and a very old LiftMaster garage door opener with a red learn button. We never had any issues programming in remotes on our vehicles (2006 Honda Pilot or 2005 Lexus LS430), but today my dad and I tried to program the garage door opener into the HomeLink in the Ford, but it won't open and close the garage door. Reset HomeLink several times and made it relearn the remote, the signal seems to be picked up because it went from a slow flash to a quick flash. However, the garage door opener doesn't seem to be learning it, and it wouldn't even register the signal from the HomeLink either (the light on the opener flashes when we make it learn other remotes). Anyone have a clue how to get it working?

Last year I installed a new Craftsman (Liftmaster) garage door opener for my son. We were unable to program his 2012 Impala Homelink to the new opener - but could program his 2022 Explorer to it.

After much research, I learned that older Homelink systems in the cars would not program to the new Liftmaster openers (the type with MyQ) due to the technology. It required a “bridge” accessory that was discontinued.

Perhaps the reverse has occurred with you - the new Expedition’s opener technology will not mate with older Liftmaster openers? Does your old opener have the MyQ link on it?

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These things can be temperamental.

Best way to make sure things get working is to wipe you expedition homelink completely by holding 1 and 3 until it flashes.

WARNING this wipes ALL openers programmed in your car.

Now get the car out where you can access the learn button on the opener.

Press and hold the button you want to program in expedition and hold the remote button down. (With newer openers it will flash rapidly meaning its a rolling code security thing) Go press the learn button on the opener and get back in expedition and start pressing the button once every couple seconds and it should work.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last year I installed a new Craftsman (Liftmaster) garage door opener for my son. We were unable to program his 2012 Impala Homelink to the new opener - but could program his 2022 Explorer to it.

After much research, I learned that older Homelink systems in the cars would not program to the new Liftmaster openers (the type with MyQ) due to the technology. It required a “bridge” accessory that was discontinued.

Perhaps the reverse has occurred with you - the new Expedition’s opener technology will not mate with older Liftmaster openers? Does your old opener have the MyQ link on it?
This is what I experienced too. We have two garages, one has a newer liftmaster (with MyQ) and I got it programed with Homelink on the first try. The other garage has an older liftmaster (15yrs old) and it will not program.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the old Liftmaster, over 20 years old. I got my 2017 to program to it, but my new 2023 will not. Oddly enough, with the remote, I could not get it to close after opening. Research showed that the older receivers will not work if you have LED bulbs installed on the motor unit!! Changed back to incandescent and it works again. The frequency the LED resonates is counter to the remote signal.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the old Liftmaster, over 20 years old. I got my 2017 to program to it, but my new 2023 will not. Oddly enough, with the remote, I could not get it to close after opening. Research showed that the older receivers will not work if you have LED bulbs installed on the motor unit!! Changed back to incandescent and it works again. The frequency the LED resonates is counter to the remote signal.

The manual for my son’s new Craftsman (Liftmaster) and also the manuals for the two Liftmaster garage door openers in my new home state to use incandescent or CFL light bulbs.

Finding rough service incandescent bulbs for the openers is almost impossible now.

OP
OP
SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched the remote I was using and it worked. I think maybe the small keychain remotes I got off of Aliexpress wasn't putting out a strong enough signal, so I used the bigger visor ones (also from Aliexpress). The programming took another 10 tries with the other remote. Took a couple hours but glad we can open the door with the car now!

I think the keychain ones were totally 3rd party clones but the visor ones were factory (without the logo), probably made during after hours after the factory "closes". The instruction manual inside were exactly the same on the visor ones.

Thanks everyone for offering advice.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The language that the old cars recognize has been changed/ updated on the new garage door openers. The newer vehicles are able to communicate with the new openers however.

Found this out when we got a new garage door opener while I was out of town. Tried to program it, and nothing. After some research found out was I previously mentioned. So, my option was a garage opener remote. Never did get one though.

Did end up getting rid of the 2016 Expedition for a 2024 Ram. Miss my Expedition, but it was time to move on. Will have to program it when I get a chance.

Quote from Chamberlain:
“Between 1993 and 2005, most garage door manufacturers used the 390 MHz radio frequency to operate remote controls for residential garage door openers. During that time, Chamberlain used Billion code and Rolling Code technology. In 2005, many manufacturers, including Chamberlain, switched their radio frequency to 315 MHz, in response to the U.S. Departments of Defense and Homeland Security use of the 390 Mhz frequency to operate their nationwide Land Mobile Radio (LMR) system.

• Then, in 2010, Chamberlain introduced Security +2.0, a narrow band signal that works on 3 different frequencies to reduce interference that causes short range.
  • In 2022, Chamberlain introduced the Security+ 2.0 315 MHz and added an MC designation to its newer openers and accessories.”