Is A/C cold at idle/around town in 2015-2017’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tthacks

Reaction score
I previously owned a 2008 Eddie Bauer Expedition for the last 7 years until it was rear ended and totaled. That was a great vehicle, but I’m in Phoenix AZ and in the summer while in low speed traffic or idling, the a/c just plain sucked! Once on the highway or sustained driving it would get cold. I am on the hunt, likely for a 2015-2017 model, and wondering if anyone can share their experience with the air conditioning for this year range? Does it cool down right away after sitting in the sun, and do the vents blow ice cold air even at idle, or is the experience like my ‘08 and miserable at idle and around town?

Appreciate any replies, I searched through a lot of old threads but I can’t figure out sometimes what year expedition people are referring to, and they are mostly posts about temporary problems and not comments about the performance of the ac as it was when new.

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I previously owned a 2008 Eddie Bauer Expedition for the last 7 years until it was rear ended and totaled. That was a great vehicle, but I’m in Phoenix AZ and in the summer while in low speed traffic or idling, the a/c just plain sucked! Once on the highway or sustained driving it would get cold. I am on the hunt, likely for a 2015-2017 model, and wondering if anyone can share their experience with the air conditioning for this year range? Does it cool down right away after sitting in the sun, and do the vents blow ice cold air even at idle, or is the experience like my ‘08 and miserable at idle and around town?

Appreciate any replies, I searched through a lot of old threads but I can’t figure out sometimes what year expedition people are referring to, and they are mostly posts about temporary problems and not comments about the performance of the ac as it was when new.

Thanks!

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, with the front and rear HVAC. I live in the Midwest with hot, humid summers.

The a/c has always worked well quickly when the vehicle engine is cool (not driven), whether parked in my garage or outside in the sun.

If the vehicle is driven for some time, then parked and “heat soaked” - it takes the a/c unit quite some time to cool down the interior when the vehicle is restarted and driven - even at moderate speeds. Then, the vents do not blow ice-cold at idle.

I have always believed that since the vehicle is so large, it takes the a/c system quite some time to cool down the vehicle (especially when heat soaked). Once it cools down, the a/c vent discharge is very cold - but it takes a while.

Our summers can have miserable high humidity, and I also think the a/c system takes quite some time to remove all the humidity from inside before the a/c discharge temperature feels cold.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
A basic suggestion is check your airflow at idle and also ensure your evaporator is clean. They can get dirty reducing air flow causing it not to work well at idle. They make cleaning products just for that purpose.

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
I'm down the road in Tucson. I bought my 2015 back in 2020 with 70k. (Actually picked it up at Camelback Ford). It has always treated me well in terms of AC, until this last summer. Seeing as we set a record number of days over 110 and 100 degrees, I did notice it was a bit taxing on the ac. When idling, I'd notice the AC get more room temp than cold, when driving it was fine. Once it cooled off, the AC is back to it's old self.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an 07 and 09 ac cools very good, 07 is in Florida and inside gets very hot. Couple things you can do, rinse the ac condenser and radiator to improve air flow, try to park with the windshield not facing the sun if possible.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Jonathan M. Have the refrigerant level checked.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all, appreciate the info! I bought a 2015 so we will see how she does in Phoenix lol

I visited a relative in Phoenix several years ago in the summer. I recall people saying, “It’s a dry heat”.......

We did travel to Sedona for a week - beautiful area.