Leaking Differential ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a leaking differential and am wondering since its a lifetime seal if I could take it to ford and have them fix it or am I sol and fixing myself.

Its an 01 with 160xxx

Thanks
Calvin

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly we are the wrong people to ask that, not to be a SA, but Ford will be the only ones to answer that for you. We can assume many things, but the only right answer is Ford themselves.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it the differential cover or where the diff comes into the axle? The front side is still ok to do if you know how to take the axles and everything apart. If its the cover that is leaking, take it off and put some RTV sealant on it and you're set

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it the differential cover or where the diff comes into the axle? The front side is still ok to do if you know how to take the axles and everything apart. If its the cover that is leaking, take it off and put some RTV sealant on it and you're set

While you are in there, clean it out and refill with some Royal Purple! (you will have to buy 3 quarts)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPO-01301/

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can still buy the gaskets. and at some sealant as well. my rear is still stained from the leak and i replaced the gasket and changed the fluid, still a howl and its still "wet". i think its from the pinion. :( o well.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
2001Expy, if it is the cover plate on the back of the differential, you will have no problems doing that job. Piece of cake. LIke was mentioned, a little bit of RTV and 3 quarts of 75W-140 full synthetic gear lube. Just make sure to clean the surfaces where the cover and the differential meet really good so the RTV will stick. Also, use the black (high temp and oil resistant) RTV. If you use the other stuff, the gear lube may cause the RTV to fail and you are right back to where you are now.

On a side note, one thing you may want to check is that the vent line into the axle is clear. I fought a leaking differential for a long time and I sealed mine a few times. I finally figured out that what was wrong was the vent line was plugged and the pressure build up inside the rear differential was causing the RTV to fail. If you need more info on how to check the vent line, let me know.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do you check to see if its clogged? i know i had it off and sand and what not got in. no doubt. i do how ever have a new hose and filter on it so no worrys about that again.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do change the oil make sure to check out if your X is limited slip. If it is, the Royal Purple already has the additive. Others may not. If not, add it. FYI

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do you check to see if its clogged?

What I do is take the vent line off, then take a tooth pick or something slim line and poke it thru the axle tube vent line fitting. Doing that, you are pushing whatever little debris that maybe in it into the axle. Do not worry about contamination or anything of the sort as the amount of debris that could be in the fitting is minimal. I always replace the vent line with new hose and clamp, that being said, I always make the new hose long enough to reach the frame rail and use a slip clamp to retain it there. Most vent lines over time seem to disappear or break off from age and being dried out.

Some member just mentioned that a clogged vent line will cause leaking. That is true, when you are driving, the axles and gears are causing pressure and as the pressure builds and the lube expands, the pressure can not be released. Then the oil starts to push out either thru the axle seals or diff cover. So that little vent tube is a important piece of invention that needs to be operative at all times.