Newb question Re: 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
any of them? lol theres tons of roads you can do well 100+, any of the highways. New Seward, Minnesota, glenn highway and many many of the surface streets are long and straight.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always kept to under 60 in 4x4, but i guess you guys have proved you can. I usually don't use 4x4 on the highway unless there is no visibility. Ice doesn't really bother me when Im in 2wd, just when driving the interstate to Cheyenne when its blowing 60 mph...

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope over 100 its out when you drop below a hundred it pops back in.

Highways stay icy here and if you hit a curve in 2wd say bye bye lol so mine stay locked in for about six momths

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
the other day I had mine out and my speedo ends at a 100mph as well and I was curious if the Edge programmer would go 3 digits in the little window and it did....got up to 103 and believe it or not that's when the wife notice we were going so fast...I has the speed limiter set at 140 would love to know if it would do it...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it would never do it. not enough power. after 100mph you need like 20hp/1mph. or something like that. and lets not forget that our weight and the fact that were not so aerodynamic has a huge key to play into it. haha

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can drive as fast as you want in 4hi, but please keep in mind that you can't shift in/out of 4x4 above 55 mph. Also of note, if you have an early 97, I would not recommend driving over 70 mph as the front differential has a design problem with the differential vent and the fluid in their gets churned up enough that the front differential will start spitting out fluid. I don't know about you, but a differential under load with no fluid in it sounds really bad.

If you are worried that you might have a bad front differential, look at the passenger side of your front differential. Follow the vent line to the differential. If my memory serves me correct, the good axles have the vent point towards the front bumper where the bad axles had the vent sticking out the top.

How do I know? I had Ford put a new front axle on my truck because of this very thing. It wasn't a recall, but it was a TSB. Should have seen the dealership that I took the truck to because I had managed to get a copy of a TSB that they didn't have. needless to say, after that day, the dealership treated me with a lot of respect. I think they were living in fear of who I was since I seemed to have some connections that they didn't.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did that cost to have the dealer replace the front X? Was there something going wrong already with the original?