1998 Expedition Rear Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWOLAW

Reaction score
I just replaced my front and rear Calipers, Rotors, Pads, and the front flexible brake line hoses, on my 1998 Expedition 4WD 5.4L. Question - After bleeding the brakes, it still feels "soft" and the pedal travels a bit before firming up. I bled the lines again, and didn't appear to have any air coming out.

My Question. I noted when installing the new calipers, the front calipers have the bleeder valve up towards the top of the calipers, but the rear calipers appear to have the bleeder valve on the low side of the caliper. Is this right? Each were clearly marked Passenger and Driver side. But since air rises, I'm wondering if the calipers were in the appropriate box and I might have air trapped in the top of the rear caliper? Is it even possible to install the calipers on the wrong side?

Since I removed the calipers to return them for the core charge, when purchasing the new (rebuilt) calipers, I didn't have a "reference" nor could I recall were the bleeder valve position was on the removed calipers.

I can't even seem to find a PIC of the rear installed calipers to ensure they are not on the wrong side of the vehicle. Can anyone provide me some guidance?

kylesford

Reaction score
yes your calipers are either on the wrong side or wrong all together the bleed screws go above where the brake hose bolts onto the caliper, therefore allowing the air to rise and escape the system. hope this helps

OP
OP
C

CWOLAW

Reaction score
Kylesford - That's what I always thought too! So, the question is, are they reversable? Anyone got a PIC of their 1998 Expy Rear Calipers installed?

powerram50

Reaction score
on my orig calipers the bleeder was below.i tryed to swap it so the bleeder was on top but the hose will not mount on the caliper on the driver side.it will only go on the one where the bleeder is below.