1999 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
My first 99 died on me. So I ended up buying a second. This one has the single arrow signals in the door mirrors. The passenger side doesn’t move. The mirror is distorted. Can I at least temporarily use a non-signal mirror? I was concerned without having the signal function. It would affect the wiring or whatnot.

2nd question how easy is it to gut a 99 Expedition. As far as the engine and transmission for someone that’s not a mechanic?

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 2

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As someone who also maintains a 99 Exp and isn't a mechanic, removing an engine and/or transmission is not something I'd attempt under any circumstance.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just the inherent danger in manipulating dangerously heavy objects for the first time. Trust that I don't know enough to anticipate all the things that could go wrong.

OTOH, if you're talking about stripping components off the old engine and transmission, like ignition coils and such, then my bad because I misinterpreted your question.

OP
OP

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
Just the inherent danger in manipulating dangerously heavy objects for the first time. Trust that I don't know enough to anticipate all the things that could go wrong.

OTOH, if you're talking about stripping components off the old engine and transmission, like ignition coils and such, then my bad because I misinterpreted your question.
I don’t have a definite reason to swap parts at this moment. The first one is far worn out compared to the second one. By other 1XX,*** miles. (However the transmission never gave me an ounce of troubles.)

I wanted the engine and transmission out for a future project.

jim8043

Reaction score
had to pull the engine on my 98 because of a bent connecting rod and my age. probably could have striped it down in the car but too old to craw under it for any length of time. Mine has 4 wheel drive so sits high and I had to get an overhead creeper to work top side. It took several days to remove all the crap on top and bottom to be in position to remove engine. Bolts for engine to transmission are a b**ch to get out. Had to cut bolts manifold to exhaust pipe. Remove a hood bolt on each side and loosen the other and you can open the hood up enough for engine to clear. Cherry picker is needed to remove it. If you dont have a bunch of tools especially sockets and lots of extensions and wrenches, could be expensive. Also take close up pictures of all wire connections and where parts are removed, or re-assembly could be a problem

OP
OP

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
had to pull the engine on my 98 because of a bent connecting rod and my age. probably could have striped it down in the car but too old to craw under it for any length of time. Mine has 4 wheel drive so sits high and I had to get an overhead creeper to work top side. It took several days to remove all the crap on top and bottom to be in position to remove engine. Bolts for engine to transmission are a b**ch to get out. Had to cut bolts manifold to exhaust pipe. Remove a hood bolt on each side and loosen the other and you can open the hood up enough for engine to clear. Cherry picker is needed to remove it. If you dont have a bunch of tools especially sockets and lots of extensions and wrenches, could be expensive. Also take close up pictures of all wire connections and where parts are removed, or re-assembly could be a problem
Gosh! Mine is only a 2 wheel drive. I assumed yeah taking off the alternator, compressor, water pump, air intake, wiring, and whatnot. Then I would have thought it was just held in wherever the mounts are. Then just pull it out (with an engine hoist naturally.) The catalytic converters have already been cut off.
Although I’m attached to the Expedition. It would be great to throw in a rebuilt engine. It’s just not worth and the money isn’t there to begin.

podsquad

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
My first 99 died on me. So I ended up buying a second. This one has the single arrow signals in the door mirrors. The passenger side doesn’t move. The mirror is distorted. Can I at least temporarily use a non-signal mirror? I was concerned without having the signal function. It would affect the wiring or whatnot.

2nd question how easy is it to gut a 99 Expedition. As far as the engine and transmission for someone that’s not a mechanic?
Expeditions don't die....unless misdiagnosed, non-MacGyver, poor mechanic, abuse...all top the list @sending, certainly, a Gen #1 Expedition to a graveyard. You can easily find an Expedition used mirror on Ebay....w and w/o signals, heat...color doesn't matter just pop off the rear cap from inside(clips)....plenty of videos online for installation. Be sure to use synthetic fluids....Mobil 1 is always good...tran, engine, rear/front diff...use good filters...WIX, Ford...gaskets fel-pro...sometimes watch videos for a fix your mechanic may not be aware of and read the forums for a fix/workaround. My 1998 EB 5.4 E4OD just hit 357K still original engine and trans...no rebuilds...sure I have had issues and with someone else it would be in a graveyard. Leaky head gasket(started maybe 7-8 yrs ago...fix used a thermostat w checkball to release pressure during first few minutes of driving(won't overheat). Problem starting...wasn't CHT sensor(98 has one) or CTS...found opening reservoir cap after shut down truck will always start w/o issues or keeping cap open just before click requires no future fussing. Transmission started slipping at 88k...Ford wanted to rebuild...nope....replace springs in accumulator valve body(Sonnax/Transgo)...perfect. Air Suspension...yep headache...no problem...waste of time and money on conversion kits...used KYB 565088 Front and 565019(mechanic made it fit(grinder)...I just matched up the travel to the Rancho 9000's....probably my best fix for the truck....having a good wheel alignment and a guy that can spot....in my case feel....I have a wheel alignment guy in the shadows of Yankee stadium(nothing like the Bronx) happens to be a musician(from DR)....it's like watching him play and dance salsa/reggaeton...he can feel what needs replacement(then take it to my mechanic around the corner) ....never had such a spot-on alignment(but definitely a factor in a well running truck)...on 2 big road trips the truck was able to get 17.1 mpg....averaged out at 15.8 traveling 75-80. Oil consumption...even when new was probably 1qt around 2200 miles....maybe now around 1qt 1800 miles. Repairs are infrequent(mostly routine), parts cheap(Rockauto) and have good supply of stuff put away...pads, filters, oil, etc). My AC still can freeze me out. Bottom line...they don't die!