2021 Expedition max exhaust noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnw2024

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue when shutting of their expedition? Sounds like the exhaust is expanding, & pebbles are bouncing around inside the exhaust. I can’t attach a video. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue when shutting of their expedition? Sounds like the exhaust is expanding, & pebbles are bouncing around inside the exhaust. I can’t attach a video. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I haven’t had the issue.

An underbody heat-shield issue can cause the noises you are describing. Have you checked to see if any are loose or damaged, or bent against another part of the vehicle?

Any driveability issues? Any check-engine light? If one or both catalytic converters are defective and the honeycomb inside is defective, it can cause a rattling noise as you describe.

OP
OP
P

pnw2024

Reaction score
Had the local ford dealer inspect it, they claim it’s normal and just the exhaust cooling down. I believe they’re wrong, as this doesn’t happen to any others

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You can upload videos to YouTube, imgur, Google Drive, etc. and share the link here.

1775SS

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like the heat shield. Have you noticed this sound in the past or did it just start recently ?
It would also be more noticeable in cooler temperatures. Not sure if its been cooler where you live.