2022 Expedition - Schedule for production ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And as I figured, I have sat and done my research, for Expeditions coming off the line the last week, they are being fully built, with the tracker showing the build is complete and waiting for shipment. I have even found a few that have the identical builds as mine. I knew once mine got put "Off Site" that it would sit there until they got around to it. I know someone we say that I could be wrong. But I have been able to pull the window stickers as well as the tracking for these vehicles. They were ordered after mine by a few months, and they went in to production within the last week and are built. One even went in to production yesterday, and is listed as built yesterday and is already awaiting shipment. Identical build as mine. Mine has been offsite for 20 days now. Can't tell me something is not wrong with this situation. On top of that, it was a dealer order, and not a customer order.

I'm not surprised by this. it is much more efficient to run the production line as it's designed. Also, for the missing motors or chips, all the cars go through a diagnostic check at the end to make sure the components are working within set tolerances. Obviously, if you're missing parts, that step cannot be completed either. It is far more inefficient to modify the line for these situations.

Ford does not want 3400 vehicles sitting off site. from an economics perspective, 3400 vehicles at ~40k each (build cost, not dealer/MSRP), you're looking at 130M in inventory sitting out in the elements. Even if that source is wrong, and the figure is half, that's still tens of millions in inventory they need to move.
Ford will more than likely run the line as designed, then shut it down for a week or so to catch-up on parts inventory, in that week, they will then install the missing components in the surplus 'built' inventory.

Cadet7263

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by this. it is much more efficient to run the production line as it's designed. Also, for the missing motors or chips, all the cars go through a diagnostic check at the end to make sure the components are working within set tolerances. Obviously, if you're missing parts, that step cannot be completed either. It is far more inefficient to modify the line for these situations.

Ford does not want 3400 vehicles sitting off site. from an economics perspective, 3400 vehicles at ~40k each (build cost, not dealer/MSRP), you're looking at 130M in inventory sitting out in the elements. Even if that source is wrong, and the figure is half, that's still tens of millions in inventory they need to move.
Ford will more than likely run the line as designed, then shut it down for a week or so to catch-up on parts inventory, in that week, they will then install the missing components in the surplus 'built' inventory.
Unless the run out of the inventory they currently have on hand while doing the ones coming off the line, and then we start the whole process over again. But I get what you are saying.

NoSoExpedition

Reaction score
Curious, for the people like me, who have been "in production" for an extended period of time, how many of you have the HD Tow Package?
I ordered a Limited Max 4x4, 301A, 8 passenger, HD Tow, Cargo package. I've been "in production" since February 24th but the date Ford gives on the tracker is 3/16, and marketing told me a week or two ago that it had moved off site.

I've looked around to other dealers and the closest one I've found with anything similar was in the Chicago area, and that was an XLT Max that had conflicting details on the HD Tow and the axle ratio, as well as the number of passengers. It wouldn't show a window sticker where I could confirm, and when I called, they said it was sold as a custom order. The dealer I worked with also said XLT Max 4x4 didn't let them add HD Tow to it & another local dealer had said the same thing, so I'm not sure that one near Chicago actually had it either. Any other ones I've found that have been listed as "in stock" on a dealer site didn't have HD Tow.

Cadet7263

Reaction score
I ordered a Limited Max 4x4, 301A, 8 passenger, HD Tow, Cargo package. I've been "in production" since February 24th but the date Ford gives on the tracker is 3/16, and marketing told me a week or two ago that it had moved off site.

I've looked around to other dealers and the closest one I've found with anything similar was in the Chicago area, and that was an XLT Max that had conflicting details on the HD Tow and the axle ratio, as well as the number of passengers. It wouldn't show a window sticker where I could confirm, and when I called, they said it was sold as a custom order. The dealer I worked with also said XLT Max 4x4 didn't let them add HD Tow to it & another local dealer had said the same thing, so I'm not sure that one near Chicago actually had it either. Any other ones I've found that have been listed as "in stock" on a dealer site didn't have HD Tow.
I went on Cars.com. Started running VINs and pulling up the Window Stickers, where I also got the Order Number from. I then ran those in tracking. There are 3 I found that were produced the last week, that are complete and awaiting shipping. I also compared them to mine in Ford As Built and all the Modules and address match or are similar. Those 3 have the HD Tow Package, so my though that was the problem didn't work out either. I agree with what someone said up higher. Ford now has the line running with full parts, so they are producing them as normal, and will eventually get to the ones that are sitting offsite. Who knows when that will actually be.

Cadet7263

Reaction score
So, I just got off the phone with marketing, who was much more helpful this time. She told me my vehicle was NOT waiting on a windshield wiper motor, but it was waiting on 1 chip that deals with the HD Tow Package. She said my estimated delivery date was still 3/29. She also said she does not know how Ford makes the decision on what vehicles to put the chips in as she agreed that the 2 Expeditions I spoke of earlier came off the line the past two days with all chips installed to include the HD Tow Package.

kkigs

Reaction score
I went on Cars.com. Started running VINs and pulling up the Window Stickers, where I also got the Order Number from. I then ran those in tracking. There are 3 I found that were produced the last week, that are complete and awaiting shipping. I also compared them to mine in Ford As Built and all the Modules and address match or are similar. Those 3 have the HD Tow Package, so my though that was the problem didn't work out either. I agree with what someone said up higher. Ford now has the line running with full parts, so they are producing them as normal, and will eventually get to the ones that are sitting offsite. Who knows when that will actually be.

Out of curiosity, I ran a quick duplicate of your process, and tracked four dealer orders at random that I found in my area. Three are "in transit" while one is "in production". Mine, like yours is "parked in a lot somewhere - forgotten" - probably. Just gotta stay patient...

Cadet7263

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I ran a quick duplicate of your process, and tracked four dealer orders at random that I found in my area. Three are "in transit" while one is "in production". Mine, like yours is "parked in a lot somewhere - forgotten" - probably. Just gotta stay patient...
I agree, patience is the name of the game. Just sometimes my patience runs thin when you have been waiting 23 weeks, and almost 3 weeks of holding offsite. But not much any of us can do.

Tripoli

Reaction score
Looks like the Expedition Max and Suburban/Yukon XL will get a new competitor in the extended wheel base full size SUV segment:

That will be quite tempting. Back end is iffy, but then so is the Expedition's. Ford better get my Stealth quick before I change my mind.